V6 229, and the 4.3 v6?

81Malibu-4DR

Frequent Racer
May 2, 2010
Putnam CT
www.81malibu4dr.webs.com
So this year i wont be able to afford a new motor so cleaning up the 229 stock motor is my best bet, so i emailed summit in ways to get rid of the computer controlled carb and what not. He said that a intake from a 1985 4.3 v6 would fit. Is this true i don't want to waste time and money! :-k

DOUG213XRJ

MalibuRacing Junkie
Sep 18, 2006
West, MI
t5montecarlo said:
Aren't you planning on a V8 for this car? If so, save the money for the engine swap! You will be buying parts that you will not be able to transfer later.
X2, Good call.

81Malibu-4DR

Frequent Racer
May 2, 2010
Putnam CT
www.81malibu4dr.webs.com
True but by this time next year i want to buy a house. So i may not do i motor swap for a few years so this is the cheapest easy way for the time being.

abigda

Frequent Racer
May 19, 2007
Springfield, MA
What he said ^, just drive it the way it is.....

I've got that same plan Paul, just trying to decide weather or not I want to sell the Elk and use that money towards a Down payment. Would make a big difference

81Malibu-4DR

Frequent Racer
May 2, 2010
Putnam CT
www.81malibu4dr.webs.com
Not only the carb, but some other emission stock stuff is giving me well crap, i just talked to my machinist today everyhting all together will cost $1100 with all the new parts and work, i would like it to go another 2 years and looked good enough to pop the hood at car shows, so this is the best economical way for now. The motor i don't think would last long enough so this will be good enough, and Tony don't sell, not before i get that ride!

abigda

Frequent Racer
May 19, 2007
Springfield, MA
$1,100?!?!?!? Dude let's just do the V8 swap on that thing and call it a day, q
A running small block from the junk yard is way cheaper, clean and paint it up with some chrome. Take the pliers to the computer wires and your golden. Bet you could do it under a grand

81Malibu-4DR

Frequent Racer
May 2, 2010
Putnam CT
www.81malibu4dr.webs.com
Yeah but need a new transmission and bunch of other parts coat extra plus i would want the motor to last 2 years maybe more that 1100 includes me doing new exhaust too so the motor stuff alone is only $600 total then buy a exhaust kit and have it installed

abigda

Frequent Racer
May 19, 2007
Springfield, MA
Idk, I'd lean more towards the v8 swap myself. Do a little recon at the local junkyards, and find out what a running small block and a good th350, 200r4 or 700r4 would run ya. I would look into it 1st, just my opinion. If you can't find anything let me know, I have a connection at the local yard here I can see what he has.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!