Upcoming LSx swapped 83 Malibu wagon

knievel

Amateur Racer
Aug 5, 2007
Hillsdale , MI
As I start to gather my parts for my LSx swapped 83 Malibu Wagon I figured I’d start a thread post all of the relevant information regarding the swap. I am going to post what parts I am planning on putting in the car but am also up to suggestions as to anything that people may find

The car is an 83 Malibu Wagon, 305/auto car with 63,000 original miles. I purchased it recently with intentions of this swap. But my plan is to make it a good (very good) running street car. Keeping the A/C along with having the car maintain a somewhat stock appearance

For now I have thrown on a set of 17” ZR-1 wheels but am planning on Rallye wheels w/ Disc Brake center caps
83malibu003.jpg

As for the swap-
Engine
I am planning on an lq4 6.0. I am planning on the 6.0 to keep the lower compression incase the car ends up being boosted in the future. I am going to try to keep the accessories near stock with the possibility of using an F-body alternator and the chance that I may move the AC pump to the top to keep from having to notch the frame for it.
The plan is to use Carshop mounts keeping the engine with proper clearance from the AC/heater box. I am also planning on BRP headers.
I am probably going to cam the engine before it is installed. The cam is still up in the air as far as any specs. Down the road I plan to install L92 heads but that is in the future.

The engine will probably be sprayed (n2o) with a small shot upon putting it together

Cooling
I am planning a 3 or 4 core stock radiator, electric fans, and shroud delete panel.

Fuel
I am going to keep the car injected as that seems a better alternative to buying an intake/MSD for the $$ when I already have to upgrade the fuel system and can have the wiring harness done for less money.
The harness btw is going to be a modified stock harness through Wait4me.
As for the rest of the fuel system I am going to run a stock tank, sumped with a kit from Competition Engineering, an Aeromotive A1000 pump, proper filters and -6 hose to the engine. I am also going to use -6 for the return going into the stock sump location. (I may possibly go with -8 line but am unsure if that is necessary)

Transmission
I would like to use a 4l60 in the car for the overdrive, along with the low 1st gear that will help as I am only planning on a 3.55 or 3.73 gear.
I would also like to keep the column shifter as the car currently has a bench seat that I plan on keeping

Rear end
I think the best value is stepping right to a 9” either from Moser or Quick Performance.

Gauges
I would like to keep the interior/dash a stock looking as possible. I’m not too sure on how I am going to accomplish this whether I use stock gauges along with the proper adapters or I build a stock appearing housing and use aftermarket 3 3/8” speedo and tach in the stock locations, along with using the stock oil/water/fuel gages.

Thoughts and comments on this setup will be appreciated as will suggestions on what you would do.

455_82malibu

Pro Stocker
May 19, 2006
WISCONSIN
good swap.

I run the stock FI,. stock harness. I use a external walbro 255, and 3/8" high pressure hose. stock tank, stock pickup.

388bu

Top Fueler
May 27, 2003
Huntley, il
www.shiftn6.com
Sounds like a good plan. The only comment I will make is that you may want to consider plumbing the return away from the sump in the tank. I have heard its not a good idea to have return fuel aerating the fuel near the pickup.

Just something to think about. My return is on the back of my tank with a hard line running down about 1 inch off the floor of the tank. Overkill maybe, but its the best setup imo.

83LSWagon

Frequent Racer
Aug 27, 2008
Spring Hill, FL
subscribed :D

knievel

Amateur Racer
Aug 5, 2007
Hillsdale , MI
As posted in another thread

I purchased an engine for the swap.
It was a great deal on what was a "5.3" complete

Once home I noticed the big 6.0L on the rear of the block like 388bu's avatar =)

so I ended up with the LQ4 I wanted

I am gonna work on cleaning it up figuring out the accesories/brackets that I will be happy with...

til then boring.gif

knievel

Amateur Racer
Aug 5, 2007
Hillsdale , MI
I placed the order today for most of my fuel system

-8 feed
-6 return
sump for gas tank
all black AN fittings
billet filters

I am probably order a new tank to sump
and I still need to order a fuel pump.

I am still planning on the a1000 aeromotive. It will probably be overkill for now but I'd rather have more than not enough!

Jordan81

Pro Stocker
Feb 10, 2004
wichita, ks
if your trying to keep somewhat of a budget, an 8.8 from a fox body wouldn't be a bad idea either...

78mali350

Amateur Racer
Nov 12, 2008
Helena, AR
subscribing :) can't wait to see this go together

blubaldmontess

Dragway Regular
Oct 3, 2005
Clarksville, TN
If your going to get a transmission, may I suggest the 4l80 instead of 60. I say this because they are not that much more, but I've seen people running in the 10's on them stock.

Is the engine DBW or drive by cable? I talked with jesse at Wait4me, as long as you have all your ducks in a row before sending off the harness, you'll get a lot more power than you bargained for.

The engine mounts, can I ask why your not running the BRP swap kit? Just wondering and not prying. It will allow you to keep the a/c pump in the same place, though it may sit the engine a little high for a stock hood w/o some trimming. I wasn't as worried about this as I have the 3" cowl already.

Radiator, I run a suburban radiator, 4 core I believe, and it fits in there, a little bit bigger than the stock one, but I've never seen mine get above the 190 degree mark with a/c on and in traffic.

Gauges are easy to keep stock, and you can get the adapter from dakota digital and they're really not that expensive, I believe the one for the speedometer was only about 45 bucks.

For alot of good info on what to do with the motor for more power, well always the l92 heads, again talk to brp they know a guy who gets em at a really good price :O but on performancetrucks.net they've got a bunch of guys running low 11's high 10's with this engine and some minor upgrades, ie heads and cam and computer reprogram.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!