LS1 Wagon Track Time

A

Anonymous

Let me introduce myself as this is my first real post on the site. My name is Greg. I have a 1983 Malibu wagon with an LS1 turbo 350 combo. The motor internally is stock. It has 1 3/4" headers and an Victor Jr carb intake with a 650 Quickfuel carb. Trans is pretty much stock with a shift kit and a 3600 edge converter. The rear is an 8.5 10 bolt with 3.90 gears and a spool. I have ran the car at the track a couple of times and made some good improvements. This weekend I made a new best as follows. Runs were made on 275/60/15 MT DR's. I think that the car has some more in it and hopefully I can get it out of it .

60ft 1.7868
1/8 7.78
1/8 MPH 90
1/4 12.23
1/4 MPH 110

ProJunk

Dragway Regular
Sep 12, 2006
Glendale, AZ
Congratulations! The carbed LS combo is an awesome deal, and has HUGE power potential. The best thing you can possibly do for one of those engines is to swap out the stock cam. These engines respond so well to larger cams. I'd expect 40-60 horsepower with a simple cam swap, and without having to resort to a huge cam, either. I'd think you should be able to get your car to 60-ft. in the 1.5X range, which alone would put you in the high 11's, and with a cam swap, I'd expect to have a bottom 11 second ride. Your car has a lot of potential... keep up the good work!

Killermalibu

May 29, 2003
Litchfield NH
www.instagram.com
Welcome aboard man! definitely need to see some pics!

A

Anonymous

Hopefully I can get some pictures this weekend. It is really nothing too pretty too look at.

I know that a cam swap will take this car a long ways in the right direction power and et wise. I think for the time being I am going to play with this combo for a while to see what can be done with better suspension and tuning. I already picked up a shorter dr to try and see if a little more gearing will speed it up. I should be back at the track in a couple of weeks.

stroker81

Dragway Regular
Dec 16, 2004
SW Missouri
Hey Greg,

Good to see you on here! Glad to see improvement.

Don't be a stranger on the board. Lots of guys interested in the LSx deal.

See you soon at the track!
Mike

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the warm welcome. :D I am still trying to learn the motor and swap as well so the more the merrier. Feel free to hit me with questions and I will see what I can help out with.

Mike,
My car aspires too be as clean as yours though I have a feeling that it may never reach that level. Hopefully I can make some more improvements over the next couple of trips. Planning on being at the Kan for the GM day?

Later
Greg

A

Anonymous

Headers are for an F-Body LS1 car. With the motor set back that you can get by making your own plates they work very well with very minimal clearancing. BTW spark plug changes are a breeze. The only think that I have not addressed yet is the fact that an Fbody drivers side header exits point out at an angel instead of straight back which makes exhaust routing fairly interesting.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!