Holley Mid-Rise Intake

MoarPower

Daily Driver
Jun 6, 2016
Cincinnati, Ohio
Anyone ever use the Holley Mid Rise intake on their swap? wondering about hood clearance and just an overall review of one in a g-body swap.

Alex

Attachments

• 300-126.jpg
    300-126.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 3,596
  • 300-126dimensions1.jpg
    300-126dimensions1.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 3,577

malicad

Dragway Regular
Dec 8, 2009
South Milwaukee, WI
There was a HUGE intake manifold shootout not long ago in either Hot Rod or Car Craft magazine. They weren't really that impressive, power-wise. Barely made more power than a LS6 intake. I think they were down on torque, too. I'm doing a LQ9 swap in the near future (motor is done on a stand), and I'm going with the LS6 intake. My motor is 525 HP.

MoarPower

Daily Driver
Jun 6, 2016
Cincinnati, Ohio
yeah i saw that in hot rod. i believe it was a 20 intake shootout. I just think they look cool haha. The LS6 intake is just as much money for a used one (granted that includes a throttle body and fuel rails and injectors) but you are correct. the LS6 intake seemed to be the "best" overall just having a hard time finding one under $650 which i find to be a little ridiculously priced for a used composite intake (but that may just be my opinion). Your setup sounds like mine. I have an LQ9 on the stand as well waiting to go in. Traded a crack free dash for it. Gonna go thru everything before i drop it in and still need to get all the swap parts too which will take awhile to get

thunder938

Daily Driver
Dec 28, 2014
NE Ohio
Ya with a LS6 or a FAST WILL have more power off idle, but do you have stick? The rams will push the power up the RPMs a bit, but with a auto and a converter it will be fine buy what you like. I and doing a 6.0 with a th400 and 3500 converter..with a ram style intake too. I will not pay in the range of $2000 for a FAST all in and running.

MoarPower

Daily Driver
Jun 6, 2016
Cincinnati, Ohio
I have a 4l80e. I dont really feel like going thru the hassle of converting to manual. Still deciding on what to do about this. I just dont want to spend the 550 on the intake just to have it hit the hood. on the other hand, i dont reallt like the idea of spending 650 on a plastic intake haha

malicad

Dragway Regular
Dec 8, 2009
South Milwaukee, WI
The cathedral port heads on our LQ9's are the limiting factor of horsepower. You will not "run out of manifold" when using a LS6 intake on the original heads. If you ever decide to use the LS3 or L92-style heads, you'll have to go with an LS3 style intake. Get the LS6. Yes, it's plastic, but if GM used it on the Corvette, I think it'll do fine. Used, they're only 300 or lower on eBay all the time, even with low mileage. They make great power, and torque. Honestly, the Trailblazer SS manifold did even better than the LS6, but it's FUGLY!

MoarPower

Daily Driver
Jun 6, 2016
Cincinnati, Ohio
right. good point malicad. and yeah the tbss intake did score the best numbers but like malicad said its FUGLY lol. i'll keep my eye out for an ls6. right now they cant be bought for under 350-400. i think im just getting ahead of myself in my build. i really just need to get it running and in the car then worry about the aftermarket performance stuff later when i build it.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!