LS swap wiring harness

Budman50

Daily Driver
Mar 14, 2016
Montgomery, Pa
Alright guys. I don't know if anyone has seen this project "bone marrow" on hot rod tvs YouTube channel. It's a budget built turbo 5.3 in a 79 Camaro using an LM7 out of a 01 Silverado. They had said you need to get the wiring harness unlocked. So if I'm going to run fuel injection and not carburate it will I need to do this and does anyone know who will. Also does anyone know what all I'll need to strip out of the harness in order to adapt it too my 79 Malibu. Trying to figure this out before pulling the trigger on a 5.3.

prairiehotrodder

Pro Stocker
Dec 17, 2005
Melfort Saskatchewan Canada
When it comes to LS motors the word "budget" seems to have a different meaning. There are places that you can send your harness to get built. Do a search.

Budman50

Daily Driver
Mar 14, 2016
Montgomery, Pa
Thanks guys, Ive been noticing that's a trend.......lets do it on a "budget" then you get nickled and dimed to death by the time you have it running right

prairiehotrodder

Pro Stocker
Dec 17, 2005
Melfort Saskatchewan Canada
or in the case of LS motors, $50 and $100 to death. The bone marrow camaro is kind of cool and i like watching it. But look what they have compared to how much they have into it. For the money they've spent they should have some good parts. They have a bunch of junk / chinese stuff for $10,000 or more.

Budman50

Daily Driver
Mar 14, 2016
Montgomery, Pa
That's true.....they are great motors but I think it'll be easier and less of a headache to just work with what I have and save to build what I really want and be done. It is interesting but who knows how long that thing will stay together....

LS WAGON

Apr 7, 2016
Bucyrus, Ohio
I just purchased a new harness and ecm form PSI cost was $749 should have it Monday. That price was the same as getting my harness and ecm redone using 13 year old wires and plugs.

2doorBu

Frequent Racer
I was originally going to use the factor harness but opted to go the route of the Holley set-up. My factors though came down to cost vs stock modifications and purchasing a program to change the tunes on a factory ECM. Cost did not have much difference for me so I went with the Holley ECM and harnesses. I will running a turbo and it has many built in features as well as the ability to self tune. As for motor mounts, I have dirty dingos and a holley pan

MoarPower

Daily Driver
Jun 6, 2016
Cincinnati, Ohio
PSI Conversion harness all the way. Cheap and easy swap. I've seen guys advertising to modify the harness to standalone for the same price it is to buy a harness and have them modify it. PSI harnesses are new. Which means no brittle connectors or cracked wiring or anything. Great products they have. My harness is 579 from them. Good price in my book. Saves time too.

Holley is also a good choice as 2doorbu mentioned.

Justahbu

Pro Stocker
May 24, 2007
Reno, NV
My Budget LS1 swap cost list

LS1%20Swap.png

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!