Neutral safety switch

dynodanmanda79

Weekend Racer
Dec 9, 2007
Crestview, FL.
I'm currently swapping a 5.3/4L60E into my 79 Malibu and have come across a snag. Are you guys using the neutral safety switch that mounts on the transmission to let the PCM know when it is in park or neutral? or are you hooking up to the mechanical device on the column that allows the ignition to move only in park/neutral?

dynodanmanda79

Weekend Racer
Dec 9, 2007
Crestview, FL.
Ok, my car has a reverse light switch towards the bottom of the column with 2 prongs for the reverse lights:

And here's the replacement switch for my 79 Malibu that they sell in the parts store, it has 5 prongs.

The LS PCM wants to see a ground signal on pin 34 on the C1 PCM connector so that it can adjust the RPM. I'll use the contacts on this switch that are closed in Park and Neutral to do so, one prong will go straight to ground while the other prong will go to pin 34 on the C1 connector.

The neutral safety switch on the transmission will now be done away with. Wanted to utilize one on the column instead of running an extra switch I don't need on the transmission.

primerbu

Amateur Racer
Jan 22, 2005
Apopka, Florida
what if the pcm is tuned for a manual trans? (Im running a th 400). I was going to eliminate all of the auto trans wiring from my harness.

Thanks

primerbu

Amateur Racer
Jan 22, 2005
Apopka, Florida
t5montecarlo said:
I have a manual chip in my computer. I just disconnected the plug P/N plug from the switch.

From the monte carlo car side (going to the column) or from the swap harness? I was just going to
take the 4L60E wires out of my harness.

Thanks for the reply.

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
I am using the original wiring harness. I just unplugged the connector from the P/N terminals at the base of the steering column.

The TCC harness was pulled into the engine compartment and tucked between the fender and the A/C box.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!