build vs buy???

SEVNT 9

Dragway Regular
just started researching LS motors. I'm in love. after seeing everything out there I am interested in building a LS based engine/project.

I would love to run a turbo. Now the question: is it better to build from scratch or buy??

saw the LSX 376 b-15 but at almost 10 g's I'm wondering if something similar can be built, and bullet proofed, on a budget??

everyone says the weak link is in the rods/pistons on all LS motors.

I would love to go Iron block and the LQ4 seems to be the best budget built friendly, but I have only just scratched the surface on research. Just looking for any insight!!

a streetable 500-700hp is what I would be looking for. love to run high 11's all day. prefer the T56 for highway use (double overdrive is amazing!! and currently in use in my current set up with 4.10 gears!!) seen people go carb set up with turbo and F.I. not leaning towards one or the other yet.....but before I even choose/debate a set up I need to learn more and thought this post would get some good feed back! thanks in advance - Shawn

gman415

Dragway Regular
May 19, 2009
Chattanooga
I don't how much horse power it made but a local guy has a "stock" 5.3 turbo that's been in the 4s.
He openly admits that it's stock with a *. As it is "hard blocked'(he runs alcohol) ARP fasteners, and file fit the rings. But the block, rods, pistons, and rings are all GM. Even the heads are GM but have been worked.

I guess I should add the results, It blew a head gasket and channeled the block and head. That was after trashing it all year at 25+ PSI.

mean78malibu

Dragway Regular
Mar 15, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA and Philly Area
BUY. LQ4 van motors seem to be cheapest right now and the builds are like going to the grocery store with a list since the information is all over the web now.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!