1985 Monte Carlo SS l92/4l80e swap

jmc_85mcss

Daily Driver
Dec 3, 2014
Hey guys, so this is my build thread from over on ls1tech.com .....Hope you guys enjoy it.

Just a background story on the car.....It has been in the family since 1986, my parents were the second owners of the low mileage Monte when they had news of having me. So my Dad sold his third gen firebird for the Monte. Back when I was 14, I was really interested in having the Monte for myself since it was sitting in our garage after it was taken off the road not being a daily anymore. Well being the middle child, my 16 year old brother got the car as his first car. He was suprised when my parents helped pay for a respray on the car of the as close to factory silver as possible. Few months after getting the car, my brother got into some trouble with it and ended up having to give it back to my parents and get a beater since his insurance went sky high. So it sat again for another 9 years or so until my old daily (93 s10 with a lt1/t56) was totalled by someone else. My parents were nice enough to give me the car for the cost of the insurance bill from the person crashing into my truck, into the monte and into the house garage. So I got a steal, lol.

After driving it for a season, I felt like the 305 just wasn't good enough. So I decided to take a perfectly good running motor for a 08 6.2l l92 and a 4l80e.

Hope that gives you guys a good background on the car.....any comments are welcomed!

Thanks,

Justin.

Last edited by a moderator:

jmc_85mcss

Daily Driver
Dec 3, 2014
t5montecarlo said:
Justin, where in PA are you?
I'm actually in Delaware. I used to live in PA....Quakertown and Trevose. Now in Middletown, DE.

jmc_85mcss

Daily Driver
Dec 3, 2014
t5montecarlo said:
It is a small world.
Have you seen it in person or something? Unfortunately I have not had much time behind the wheel with multiple issues with gauges, rear and engine harness. Maybe come spring time, it will be ready to hit the streets for good.

jmc_85mcss

Daily Driver
Dec 3, 2014
t5montecarlo said:
No, I haven't seen it, but I don't live too far from Quakertown.

May I ask how much it cost to paint the car and who did it? Mine is desperate for paint.
Oh, gotcha. lol.

I don't really remember since it was painted over 11 years ago from a shop in quakertown. I cannot remember the road name for the life of me but it was my brothers at the time of the paint job so I did not really worry about it at that time. But for sitting outside for all of its life besides a short stint in the garage in Quakertown, she looks damn good.

jmc_85mcss

Daily Driver
Dec 3, 2014
1981Regal said:
I think he is referring to the recent wheel well work and bumpers fixed.
Oh ok.....Well I had that done by a local guy down here in Delaware but unfortunately he had passed away a few months ago.

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
Actually, I was referring to the respray when your brother had the car. Please see if he can remember who and how much...just for comparison purposes.

Mine has been outside its whole life and it looks like it.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!