LS1 in a 79 malibu

tommi3520

Weekend Racer
Nov 14, 2011
Hi guys

I have a malibu with a 350sbc out of 84 corvette, th350 and a 9" rear. Engine puts out no more than 205hp, lazy to say the least.
Ive been lookin at a ls1-4L60 swap, ive used the search option and found some confusing info and some good here is some good:

I have no need for A/C in my car because i live in Iceland. I would buy a complete ls1-4l60 engine-trans with all wiring harness.

So what are we talking about?
-BRP Motor mounts
-BRP Transmisson crossmember
-BRP Oil pan (some say yes, some say no, would test fit first before ordering)
-BRP Headers (No clue if that is a must or if some original headers would work in a g-body)
-Wiring work
-Fuel tank work?

Am i forgetting some necessary points?

I would put the engine and trans in my car, and have a professional do the wiring work.

Some thoughts and facts greatly appreciated

Tomas

Last edited by a moderator:

tommi3520

Weekend Racer
Nov 14, 2011
Ive also been looking at the LQ9 engine, but of all the threads about these new school swaps, the process is not going as smoothly as i had hoped, but the prices you see here:

sure make you want to buy one. But i dont know if im willing to dive in this project so blind of the money side and work hours.

we´ll see....

Last edited by a moderator:

andrewmrchevy

Daily Driver
Jan 6, 2011
Seoul, Korea
Tommi3520, what I see you looking at with lsx4u.com is nothing more than what you would get out of a junkyard. Still a huge amount of work and money needed to complete. Some use the BMP set up but Hooker and Holley sells alot of stuff to make your swap easier and cheaper. For your set up I would go with the Hooker 12623HKR this places your engine 1 1/4 forward which will give you room on the fire wall. Here is a picture of my 78 Malibu I just started in August. I have the LQ4 with 4L80e and 9" Ford 3.70 posi rear-end . I can tell you it is not going to be cheap. I went with the 1 7/8 Hedman Hedders which were $844.00 but are full length, coated and installed in 30 minutes. 4L60e is great transmission, I have this in my 83 Malibu Wagon.
For the fuel tank you will need or I would recommend you score a GM306C fuel tank which has the baffled/sump for that intank fuel pump. Then run the Vetter Fuel Regulator so you can run the single fuel line to the engine. I would for sure go with the LQ9, LS2 or LQ4 engine, I would not start with the LS1 as you would always want more and for the cost of the build it would be better to start off with some more.
Just my 2 cents!

Attachments

• DSC09015.JPG
    DSC09015.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 2,177

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!