My Turbo LSX Build!

1BAD81BU

Pro Stocker
Aug 6, 2003
Whiteland, IN.
Hey guys, it's been a while since I've been on this board but I need to keep you guys updated, informed and share the Malibu love with my project. The car is an 1983 Malibu wagon I aquired in June of 2011 with 62,000 original miles and is a cherry car. I immediately tore the care apart and swapped in my 357SBC/TH350 out of my 1981 Malibu(sold now) and went to the track in October of that same year only to destroy the transmission on the first pass. In the spring of 2012 a Coan TH350 with a transbrake and a Coan 8" converter went into the car and I ran the car at the NMCA race at Lucas Oil Raceway.

The car ran mid 12's with a relatively mild pump gas 357SBC and even managed to get a tire off of the ground. In the spring of 2013 big changes came along. I found a Craigslist add for an 03 LQ4 with 113,000 miles complete for $450..it was purchased immediately. The original plan was to retain the transmission, have another converter built and run the LQ4 with a nice cam and maybe a little nitrous. That plan lasted about a day, I decided to go turbo.

This is the engine when I bought it.

Out with the old!!!

The engine is done. I decided to pass on the truck manifolds for a pair of C6 exhaust manifolds(still going to use the 2 bolt flanges too!) The engine like I said is an 03 LQ4 with 113,000 miles. The bottom end is 100% stock from the pistons down except for the LSA CTS-V oil pan/baffle/pickup. The timing chain is the German IWIS chain with stock gears. The heads are stock as well with Brian Tooley valve springs and Brian Tooley triunion's for the stock rockers. The cam is a Tick Performance Stage 2 custom turbo grind. The intake is a box stock Victor Jr. The carb is a CSU E85 750 blow-thru and the carb hat is also from CSU.

This is the 2003 4L80E transmission I picked up from a local pull-a-part for $100. I have no idea the mileage but it got a bath and a Trans-Go Stage 2 shift kit as soon as it got home. The converter is a Circle D 3500rpm converter.

In with the new!!!

6 hours later it's done! It took forever because we had to cut a hole in the K-member for the turbo drain line WITH the engine in place..who does this stuff before hand?lol I used the Dirty Dingo solid slider engine mounts with my old Moroso solid SBC mounts. The engine and the oil pan fit ok but it sits MUCH farther back than the SBC. Like I could fit 2 credit cards between the passenger side cylinder head and the firewall...weight transfer!! :)

The turbo is a Borg Warner S475..96mm turbine wheel..1.32 A/R. The mount pictured has changed but the turbo is still in the location shown. The plan is run an 11 gauge aluminum downpipe in front of the front passenger tire. I just finished mounting a Lincoln Mark III fan on my old Griffin radiator so I'll post some updated pix later. The car is going to go to Fathouse Fabrications for the hotside/coldside and downpipe. The goal is to make over 650RWHP and get a 9 second pass. Stay tuned!! Later on, Nick.

kevind

Dragway Regular
Jan 7, 2009
Whitley City KY
My cousin broke a windshield sitting on it like that.

cherp22

Top Fueler
Apr 12, 2004
Roxana, IL
Looks good old friend!

1BAD81BU

Pro Stocker
Aug 6, 2003
Whiteland, IN.
If you look at the pic I posted of the engine sitting in the car you can see how close the exit of the passenger side manifold came to the inlet flange of the turbo..with the C6 manifolds they're like a center dump style manifold so I gained some space making plumbing for the wastegate on that side alot easier. I doubt I could get the angle I wanted for the wastegate with the truck manifold. Nick.

jaywill

Frequent Racer
Jun 15, 2006
REIDSVILLE,NC
I GOT IT..THANKS ! ANY UPDATES ? BTW WHAT SIZE INTERCOOLER R U GOING 2 RUN AND MOUNTING PLACE ?

1BAD81BU

Pro Stocker
Aug 6, 2003
Whiteland, IN.
No updates on the car right now. I've been waiting on parts to come in. The snowstorm we had last week slowed everything down around here and guaranteed that I would have to work this weekend. I did get my ARP crank bolt, Sweet Performance 4L80E cooler line AN fittings, and my RPS 50mm BOV in the mail. I'm still waiting on my C6 flanges to show up. Hopefully on the 20th of this month I'll be able to trailer the car over to Fathouse to let them do the hotside/coldside and downpipe. I will not be running an intercooler since this is an E-85 build. From all of the advice I've gathered an intercooler in this type of setup because a hinderence to performance rather than a bonus.

jaywill

Frequent Racer
Jun 15, 2006
REIDSVILLE,NC
1BAD81BU said:
No updates on the car right now. I've been waiting on parts to come in. The snowstorm we had last week slowed everything down around here and guaranteed that I would have to work this weekend. I did get my ARP crank bolt, Sweet Performance 4L80E cooler line AN fittings, and my RPS 50mm BOV in the mail. I'm still waiting on my C6 flanges to show up. Hopefully on the 20th of this month I'll be able to trailer the car over to Fathouse to let them do the hotside/coldside and downpipe. I will not be running an intercooler since this is an E-85 build. From all of the advice I've gathered an intercooler in this type of setup because a hinderence to performance rather than a bonus.

thanks

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!