Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » TECHNICAL » LSx Tech

Post Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:28 pm 
Weekend Racer

Hello everybody,
I have been a member for awhile, and bought several parts from members here. I also have used this site for answering MANY LSX / G-Body questions!! In short, I couldn't have started my project without you guys! Thank you!!!
I have started my build up documentation at http://hotrodregal.com/ . Its in the preliminary stages, and will be an on going thing. I wanted to show as much about my build up as possible while giving back to the G-body community. Please feel free to check it out, comment, ask questions etc. I promised build pics to this site, so here we go... Its not to the LS 6.0 install yet, but those photos are coming.

Best Regards
Matt

Post Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:58 pm 
Dragway Regular

Hey Matt,

This is nick, you had come and bought a few grand national parts from me when i lived in florissant.

Good to see your back at it. first time ive seen your car, looking pretty sweet cant wait for the new transformation. keep the updates coming!!!!

PM sent

Post Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:13 am 
Weekend Racer

Good to hear from you Nick!
Yup its been awhile - I started the tear down awhile back, its just been taking awhile to find the right deals on the parts that I want. Good parts for good prices can be found though!!!
Keep checking back on my blog, I should have some 6.0L LS pics up soon! Its such an easy swap too! Just takes time & $$$ :mrgreen:

See ya around

Matt

Post Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:03 pm 
Weekend Racer

Just a quick update, Engine Pics are up.
Just thought I would let everybody know that's not RSS or following.
:D
http://hotrodregal.com/

-Matt

Post Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:18 pm 
Weekend Racer

Fuel System pics with part #'S are up... I waited until these were published before I posted them...

www.HotRodRegal.com

Also, check out the soon to be released book Gm G-body Performance Projects book by Joe Hinds at Bulldawg Muscle Cars. It is on sale at Amazon.com now!

Post Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:45 pm 
Weekend Racer

I re-engineered the brake/suspension package recently, the pics are up on my website. All you autocross guys may find it interesting! www.HotRodRegal.com

I gotta say Marc Savitske knows his craft...check out www.SCandC.com (his website) while you are at it. The solution is a bit pricey, but making a G-body with near zero bumpsteer is an interesting concept.

Enjoy G-body fans!

Matt

Post Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:06 pm 
MalibuRacing Junkie

Nice write up good looking work so far! Keep it up! Now I just need to convince you to get a "man pedal" instead of the auto :)

Post Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:37 pm 
Weekend Racer

OK G-body people... Custom - Inner Fender Modifications for the front inner fenders... Its up and posted... Enjoy!!!

www.hotrodregal.com

-Matt

Post Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:35 am 
Amateur Racer

have you ever measured the engine/trans angle with those mounts? reason i ask is everytime ive had a set of those mounts in a car the drive line angles were horrible. from 7-9* most of the time. i always end up cutting them up to get were i want them.

70 GRAND PRIX LSX
69 GRAND PRIX LSX
90 SS454 TRUCK LSX
78 EL CAMINO... SBC.... REALLY?
R.I.P ARTIMUS 84 EL CAMINO

Post Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:47 pm 
Weekend Racer

Yes I did measure the drive line angle at the output shaft of the 4l60e. It was right where it needed to be using the G-force crossmember and the BRP motor mounts.(3 1/2 degrees if I remember correctly) Now, unfortunately the Moroso 7qt oil pan with trap doors and baffling did not work. I had Moroso cut the edge of the passenger side of the pan to clear the frame. I performed all that with a B-body spindle swap for the front suspension. Currently , I switched back to the G-body spindle for the larger baer brakes along with Howe Racing tall ball joints. I actually need to raise the engine about a 1/4" to clear the center link/front of the oil pan now. The center link is ever so slightly contacting the oil pan at the tie rod joint. No big deal though, because I have the 1/4" plates cut and ready to match drill the holes. Also, I am seeing some of the Chevelle guys have that issue with the center link. (A-body). I will have to check the drive line angle again though after the 1/4" plate install.
I suggest talking to Jeff at BRP to see if you can find a solution. I'm not real sure why you have those extreme angles...

Post Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:23 pm 
Amateur Racer

the a-bodys is were most of the issues i ran into came from when using those mounts. i shoot for 3.0-3.5* myself, also has lots of clearance problems with pan aswell with the inners. had to make sure we got inners with the zerk on the back side. although ive never done a swap using the pan you have... your build is looking great by the way. like the attention to detail so far.

70 GRAND PRIX LSX
69 GRAND PRIX LSX
90 SS454 TRUCK LSX
78 EL CAMINO... SBC.... REALLY?
R.I.P ARTIMUS 84 EL CAMINO

Post Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:05 pm 
Weekend Racer

Got some usable info for you LS engine swap guys

Radiator hose part #'s I used.

Upper hose: Gates 21837
Lower Hose: Gates 20159

Check out the pics and details
www.hotrodregal.com

hope it helps a few folks!
-Matt

Post Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:29 pm 
Weekend Racer

Custom Wheel pics are up...

A GREAT experience from a major vendor!!!

www.hotrodregal.com

Post Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:40 pm 
Dragway Regular

I like your site and will use it as a reference. Do you believe that it's a necessity to remove the AC/Heater to get one of these LS motors into a G-Body, or does it just make it a lot easier?

Thanks,

Jim

Post Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:03 am 
Weekend Racer

I am not really certain that you need to remove the A/C Box for the install of a LS engine. But I am certain it depends on which motor mounts that you use. The after market is really coming around with coil relocation kits so I wouldn't be afraid to try anything really.
Good luck if you try an LS swap.... I am getting ready to help a very good friend with one in a REALLY COOL el-camino. He wants to put a carb. on it!

Oh and its been awhile, but new pics and info is up on www.hotrodregal.com
I just finished my power steering lines and a power steering remote reservoir installation. Its got some good info on how to make a close out panel for your inner fender too.

Best regards
Matt

Board index » TECHNICAL » LSx Tech