Rally Gauges to dark

SLICK78

Dragway Regular
Aug 1, 2009
La Porte, Tx
hey guys my new 78 has the rally gauges in it but at night it is so dark I cant even see the speedo. I pulled it apart this weekend and replaced the one burned out bulb and they are all working now but it is the same they are really dark...all of the but the speedo get hardly any light at all. I was thinking of swapping them all for some led bulbs but thought I would ask to see what you guys thought before I dropped the coin for them, not to mention pulling the cluster apart again ](*,) these are the ones I'm looking at unless you guys know of something better? Thoughts?

wled-x5.jpg

full info
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=%2Fspecs%2FWLED-x5.htm

SLICK78

Dragway Regular
Aug 1, 2009
La Porte, Tx
nobody huh? weird guess no one has the dark gauges but me

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
You could try painting the 'reflector' portions (where it's blue on the inside of the cluster) a flat white color, that will help reflect some light. Also, there are two types of bulbs you can fit into the same socket, 168 and 194... one is brighter than the other, I can never keep them straight.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
I'd just replace the rest of the bulbs. They dim over time. You'd be suprised how much brighter a dash can be just from getting new bulbs.

Tommy

SLICK78

Dragway Regular
Aug 1, 2009
La Porte, Tx
I am going to try painting the insides white this weekend and go from there O.D. Showtime had told me about that in a PM as well so I think I am going to try that before I drop 50 bucks on bulbs... Do yall think painting it silver would make it reflect better or gloss white vs flat white?

SLICK78

Dragway Regular
Aug 1, 2009
La Porte, Tx
sweet well went ahead and got the bulbs anyways turned out to be 35 shipped for all 8 in the cluster so only about 10 bucks more than replacing with stock bulbs and I dont want to do it again so i went with the leds so I will do both and post up some pics should have the bulbs by the end of the week

SLICK78

Dragway Regular
Aug 1, 2009
La Porte, Tx
well went ahead and did this last night so here goes

Stock
DSCN1232.jpg

pulled apart just stock bulbs showing
DSCN1239.jpg

couple of leds verus the stock 168 bulbs
DSCN1240.jpg

here is all the leds installed
DSCN1241.jpg

then I noticed my clear lens that covers the gauges was real scratched and foggy
DSCN1243.jpg

so i wet sanded it real good on both sides with 2000 grit
DSCN1244.jpg

then I used my high speed buffer with a wool pad and a polishing compund
DSCN1245.jpg

I also painted the bezel front and back white on the back and a fresh coat of satin black on the front but you all know what that looks like so here is the final product
DSCN1250.jpg

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!