Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » TECHNICAL » Electrical/Wiring Technical

Post subject: Wiper swap problem
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:50 pm 
Frequent Racer

I am trying to convert my non delay on the dash to a delay with stalk, I went to autozone and bought the delay wiper model for my car and it will not fit the motor hits the brake booster?are the motor's different sizes,I thought that it was just the delay module added to the front of the motor? I tried to line them up in different angles and they look the same? just can't get it to bolt up,I threw the original away by accident so I cannot verify with that one at this time any help is appreciated.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:30 pm 
MalibuRacing Junkie

IIRC, all you need is the correct switch, motor, module & stalk. If the motor doesn't clear the booster, you may need the dual diaphragm booster.

Tommy

20k mile '80 Malibu, currently undergoing long term (aka no money) factory style install LS6 454, Cowl Induction, Legend LGT 700 5 speed. Full Global West suspension, 17" N90 wheels, 12" front/11" rear disc brakes, 9" 3.70 Auburn Pro posi.

"The older I get, the faster I was"

Post subject: Wiper swap problem
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:48 pm 
Frequent Racer

Hey tommy, thanks for the help ,man I can't get much dumber some days,I went out today and the motor fits fine I just had to turn it upside down it's been a while since I took it out and I was rushing to see it fit? I did try to hook it up and I'm not getting power I looked quick and didn't see any blown fuses but it's getting dark out so I'll have to check more tommorrow, I have the wiper motor that is supposed to have all the bells and whistles in it? and the stalk on the new tilt column I color coded three wires to match old and new and now have a white wire left? not sure if there is a relay in between or not some guys have said it does some say it's on the motor just connect the blue wire to the empty term on the motor? thanks again for your time.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:24 pm 
Frequent Racer

Ok it's in but not working yet,I traced the wiring and what I came up with is from the stalk down the column I get a purple,grey,green,pink, and white wire and from the factory wiring I get a purple,grey,pink and black wire with a seperate grey and black wire that fed the light to to the existing switch, I'm not very good with reading diagrams ,I'm assuming I color code the wires which would leave me with a green and white left over from the stalk and a black wire from the factory harness does anyone know if these wires go to a relay that I don't have to run the delay and or whole motor? on the motor there are 2 plugs (1) 3 wire and (1) 2 wire and there is one open where the 2 wire connector goes on a different angle, not sure what color wiregoes here? any help is greatly appreciated so I may drive the car again.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:59 pm 
Frequent Racer

Can anybody help need wipers to drive car,anybody got an older stlye dash mounted delay that you could tell me what color the wires are to it? or even what I 'm supposed to read for ohms/volts whatever out of each wire?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:25 pm 
MalibuRacing Junkie

Lookiehere:

http://www.maliburacing.com/wiring_diag ... Washer.jpg

Tommy

20k mile '80 Malibu, currently undergoing long term (aka no money) factory style install LS6 454, Cowl Induction, Legend LGT 700 5 speed. Full Global West suspension, 17" N90 wheels, 12" front/11" rear disc brakes, 9" 3.70 Auburn Pro posi.

"The older I get, the faster I was"

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:59 pm 
Frequent Racer

Hey tommie thanks but those diagrams are for smart people,I've looked them over and still can't figure it out not sure if I'm missing a wire from the factory harness by going from non to delay and the chilton's looks a little different than this one? and I tried running a green jumper but I still have an extra white coming out of column and a black from switch?black is usually ground and white is power? gotta take care of the kids almost everynight after work doesn't give me much time to tinker? maybe this weekend plus it's supposed to get out of the 30's which will help.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:06 pm 
Frequent Racer

I got out to the car today and what I find is at the L shaped plug I have power to a yellow wire full time and at the 3 wire flat plug I have full power to a white wire, are these wires supposed to be juiced all the time or maybe I have a short?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:09 pm 
Frequent Racer

Does anyone know if I can verify that the stalk is working properly by checking volts or ohms I can't find any diagrams that show what I should be reading at each connector? if I take a test lamp and touch the terminals on the pump it will function but not through the stalk but I still am not sure where to run the white wire to ,the existing harness coming from dash switch didn't have a white wire in it?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:39 pm 

As far as the stalk goes you would check for continuity, except for the delay part, I'm not sure how that works.

'87 Fiero GT - 2.8/5-speed
'78 Malibu - Vortec 350/4-speed (for now)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:22 pm 
Frequent Racer

Iset the meter in ohms and I touched the black to ground and the red to each wire while changing the stalk settings and got nothing,am I doing something wrong? not to much of an electrician here ,thanks again guys

Post subject: Re: Wiper swap problem
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:56 pm 
Amateur Racer

Its pretty simple, if you have the wiper motor with relay from donor car. Just color match the wires from your car under the hood to the corresponding wires that come from the wiper motor, gray to gray, purple to purple, and pink to pink. leaving the yellow wire hooked up as is from the donor car. Now do the same thing to wires from the steering column switch, to the wires where the old switch used to be. The white wire and green wire that you have left over under the hood have to be wired to the white and green wire from the steering column switch. The black wire that you have left from the non relay switch, just tape it up and forget about it. Done deal.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:43 pm 
Frequent Racer

Ok will try when it's a little warmer out , I tried just about everything in the past but wound up taking the delay motor out and putting non delay back in only to find it didn't work either , I found out the plug was corroded and wasn't giving it proper connection and just never tried to rehook delay motor as I really wanted to drive the car and with new paint I don't drive it much in the rain anyway,thanks again for the info

Post Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:13 pm 
Top Fueler

this is an older post but i'm i the same boat now and am looking for answers what to do with a 2 spare wires.anybody figure this out yet?

Post Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:30 pm 
Weekend Racer

extra wires may be for wiper pump washer some wiper motors have pumps some dont

Board index » TECHNICAL » Electrical/Wiring Technical