Pro Stocker
Mar 3, 2007
Princeton MA
whats the "I" terminal on the solenoid? :oops:

chevycopcar

Pro Stocker
Jul 19, 2004
S. Holland, IL
I think that is some kind of bypass for use with ballast resistor type ignitions. I asked an instructor once, and he said something about it bypassing the resistor during cranking.

A

Anonymous

I think that is some kind of bypass for use with ballast resistor type ignitions. I asked an instructor once, and he said something about it bypassing the resistor during cranking
That is correct. On cars orignally with points and condenser the "I" term would put a full 12 volts to the coil for starting.

chevycopcar

Pro Stocker
Jul 19, 2004
S. Holland, IL
Some Ford ignitions continued to use a ballast resistor even with solid state ignition... I think Chrysler did too but I couldn't say for sure.

ImportThis

Daily Driver
Feb 7, 2010
just fyi, the jumper wire from batt terminal to the kick-in terminal on the starter works great, but if you use a starter that uses magnets instead of field coils (PMGR) that setup will not work, or it will, but the starter will not last.. the magnetism inside the starter motor will cause the solenoid to keep itself engaged for 2-5 seconds after you let off the key.. when the bendix stays engaged with a running motor, the starters tend not to last very long..

wannabe

Frequent Racer
Aug 31, 2009
getting ready to give this a try, but first, since I am hillbilly simple, I want to make sure I am on the same page as you folks. the pink wire at the top of the drawing, orig attached to the bat terminal on the factory starter solenoid, was just to power accessories? and the small brown wire, in the middle of the drawing, from "s" terminal on remote solenoid, orig connected to "s" terminal on factory solenoid, is to be connected to the ignition, which will be an aftermarket push button starter in my case. no doubt this is simple to you electronic gurus but I am totally electrically challenged. thx...wannabe

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!