friggin' radio

Z-man

Dragway Regular
Aug 12, 2006
Barnesville MN/ Fargo ND
I just finished rewiring my gauges /radio and everything works like it should except I cant pick up any radio stations now :x I've got the antenna cable plugged in right but no tunes. I have the antenna in the windshield type, can the connector go bad? the radio worked before and the CD player works fine any thoughts? :?

81classic

Top Fueler
Jun 5, 2003
North Port, Fl
I would double check your antenna wire. Maybe it unplugged at the windshield

Z-man

Dragway Regular
Aug 12, 2006
Barnesville MN/ Fargo ND
Checked the antenna at the windsheild and it looked good, any other ideas?

wiseman79

Top Fueler
Dec 18, 2004
Central Virginia
www.performancetech.net
The antenna end could have pulled loose while removing it. I would think it would have to be either that or the radio was damaged while it was out. You could buy a cheap mast antenna, plug it in to see if the radio works then, if so it's gotta be the antenna.

El Coolmino

Top Fueler
May 11, 2005
DSM IA under a green truck
Depending on what kind of radio you have, the antennae plug may not be right. Many modern radios need an adapter, and it's often very close so somebody who doesn't do it everyday might think it's right. Try calling someplace that does installations with your head unit/car combo and see if an adapter is required.

Z-man

Dragway Regular
Aug 12, 2006
Barnesville MN/ Fargo ND
thanks for the input guys, the raido worked fine (Its a JVC) with the antenna cable before and was only out for an hour or so I'm sure it didn't get dammaged while out (it sat on the passengers seat while i was runnin the new wires) Is there sucha theing as a under dash antenna. :? Street rod guys never have antennas, so how do they get their tunes? thanks again!

78_Elky

Pro Stocker
Mar 9, 2005
Oregon
smlblk78.onlineshowoff.com
I just had this same problem cuz my mast antenna got ripped out of my fender in a car wash, I just went and used an antenna from my bayliner boat. all it is is a piece of wire that is soldered into the plug that goes into the antenna hole on the radio. I can't believe it works but it does so don;t laugh, it is a lot better than not having a radio. ;)
-Josh

oh yeah summit sells a powered antenna, it is a little black box but they reccomend you mount it to the dash so it can get signal, it is about 80 bucks so that is the other reason I went with the cheep way

chevycopcar

Pro Stocker
Jul 19, 2004
S. Holland, IL
78_Elky said:
...oh yeah summit sells a powered antenna, it is a little black box but they reccomend you mount it to the dash so it can get signal, it is about 80 bucks so that is the other reason I went with the cheep way

I got the Dakota Digital amplified antenna last Christmas. I haven't done much with it, but it's disappointingly susceptible to interference. I had it sitting in plain view on top of my beautiful cracked dash, too. It seems like the original in-windshield antenna messed with it; if you moved it to either side of the glass it would work better. I temporarily gave up on it and just accepted listening to crappy mix CDs in the mean time. I do question the connection at the radio, though, as it seemed a bit loose at the time.

-Tony

A

Anonymous

Zman, get me to where u r

My '82 Malibu dash lights and gauges would work sometimes and then finally went out. I never fixed it but now I want to put a LT1 in it and I don't have a clue as to what I should do for the dash to read some of the new stuff or how to make the old stuff work. I can use an Auto Meter electronic speedometer to receive the signal, but I would like my MPHs to read more than 85. Should I change the entire cluster or what? What all did u do in your dash Zman?
Mr. in need of serious help.

Z-man

Dragway Regular
Aug 12, 2006
Barnesville MN/ Fargo ND
I used autometer Phantom gauges, speedo and tach are 3 3/8, fuel, water, oil and volts are 2 1/16. The speedo and oil is is mechanical all others are electrical. I made a gauge bezel out of sheet aluminium, had to gut most of the stock plastic that the OE stuff was in. (had a spare in case of a disaster :) ) It's all pretty straight forward I made a new harness for all the new stuff and taped up the old connector and tucked it out of the way. Other than that I had no problems except for the friggin' radio.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts