rewire or pull out un needed wires

AVENGER79

Daily Driver
Oct 22, 2018
hey guys I have an '85 Monte Carlo SS, currently has a '73 engine in it. I bought it that way so no knowledge of install procedure.

question is this. all of the sensor wires etc from the stock engine have been disconnected and are bundled up under the hood. I think I could just remove the computer and all of it's wire harness, however does the ignition circuit run through it?
would it be easier to trace back all the disconnected wires and remove them or just pull all of it and rewire the car completely?

prairiehotrodder

Pro Stocker
Dec 17, 2005
Melfort Saskatchewan Canada
i would re-use as many of the wires as you can, and tie up and hide what you don;t need. Do not attempt to re-wire the whole car unless building an all out drag car.

AVENGER79

Daily Driver
Oct 22, 2018
Was in there messing about a bit this weekend. put in the AC delete panel. there are so many wires tied up in there it can't really be cleaned up as is. I did disconnect the computer and car still fires up and runs.
so current plan is to separate the harnesses and take out any of the disconnected wires.

It won't be a "dedicated" drag car but won't be driven very much either. so far heat, AC, wipers, radio, heater controls are gone.

If that doesn't work I may contact Painless or our local harness guy and go ahead and try a rewire on it.

I will need the practice anyway, have to do my girlfriend's VW this winter as well. I did rewire it for alternator instead of generator but now I have to address the rest of the car.

prairiehotrodder

Pro Stocker
Dec 17, 2005
Melfort Saskatchewan Canada
some of those smaller sub-harness's can be removed by themselves. Some may come in handy to re-use for other "race car" accessories such as a trans brake or electric water / fuel pump etc.... They are allready fused. I've seen far to many guys tear out a perfectly good wiring harness only to lose interest on the whole project.
Brian

AVENGER79

Daily Driver
Oct 22, 2018
prairiehotrodder said:
some of those smaller sub-harness's can be removed by themselves. Some may come in handy to re-use for other "race car" accessories such as a trans brake or electric water / fuel pump etc.... They are allready fused. I've seen far to many guys tear out a perfectly good wiring harness only to lose interest on the whole project.
Brian

hmm good point on reusing the smaller harnesses. hadn't given that much thought.

that is kind of how I wound up with the car. engine was swapped in by a prev owner then purchased by the guy before me. he essentially let it sit outside on the road for a year before realizing he had no idea how to fix it.

biggest issue I have with it is getting settled into what to do first.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!