Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ


Board index » TECHNICAL » Electrical/Wiring Technical




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:00 pm 
Offline
Frequent Racer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:49 am
Posts: 388
Location: Whting, NJ
t01blaze wrote:
I had an MSD distributor ignition module fail on me years ago. Car was running, just died and would not restart. It was only a few weeks old and I exchanged it for another distributor (same one). The second distributor lasted for as long as I had the car.


Well that's pretty good timing. I just swapped the bad one out for a new same MSD HEI today. I was wondering if it was a mistake. Hope it works out this time.

Thanks

_________________
Lou G.

Blueprint 383 , T350, 2800 stall, GN 3.42 Posi. MT- ET Rs 255 60 x 15


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:34 pm 
Offline
MalibuRacing Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 7:26 am
Posts: 15783
Location: North Jersey
I'm not knocking MSD, but when they go, that's usually how it happens. You shut it off, go to restart it and... Nothing. That's also why we had 100% redundency in the GT1 car ignition. Two coils, two boxes & an MSD "A/B" switch.

Tommy

_________________
20k mile '80 Malibu, currently undergoing long term (aka no money) factory style install LS6 454, Cowl Induction, Legend LGT 700 5 speed. Full Global West suspension, 17" N90 wheels, 12" front/11" rear disc brakes, 9" 3.70 Auburn Pro posi.

"The older I get, the faster I was"


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:00 pm 
Offline
Frequent Racer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:49 am
Posts: 388
Location: Whting, NJ
LS6 Tommy wrote:
I'm not knocking MSD, but when they go, that's usually how it happens. You shut it off, go to restart it and... Nothing. That's also why we had 100% redundency in the GT1 car ignition. Two coils, two boxes & an MSD "A/B" switch.

Tommy


Hi Tommy.

I was lucky enough to to get a replacement. I put it in today . Hope this one holds up. I guess I better keep a spare in the trunk. :D

_________________
Lou G.

Blueprint 383 , T350, 2800 stall, GN 3.42 Posi. MT- ET Rs 255 60 x 15


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:52 am 
Offline
MalibuRacing Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:07 am
Posts: 4376
Location: Lederach
Why change out the HEI in the first place?


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:13 am 
Offline
Frequent Racer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:49 am
Posts: 388
Location: Whting, NJ
t5montecarlo wrote:
Why change out the HEI in the first place?


I think it may have been the original HEI. All worn and loose.

_________________
Lou G.

Blueprint 383 , T350, 2800 stall, GN 3.42 Posi. MT- ET Rs 255 60 x 15


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:55 am 
Offline
MalibuRacing Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 7:26 am
Posts: 15783
Location: North Jersey
80driver wrote:
LS6 Tommy wrote:
I'm not knocking MSD, but when they go, that's usually how it happens. You shut it off, go to restart it and... Nothing. That's also why we had 100% redundency in the GT1 car ignition. Two coils, two boxes & an MSD "A/B" switch.

Tommy


Hi Tommy.

I was lucky enough to to get a replacement. I put it in today . Hope this one holds up. I guess I better keep a spare in the trunk. :D



Better yet, stab this in your engine and be done with it:

http://performancedistributors.com/prod ... strip-dui/

Tommy

_________________
20k mile '80 Malibu, currently undergoing long term (aka no money) factory style install LS6 454, Cowl Induction, Legend LGT 700 5 speed. Full Global West suspension, 17" N90 wheels, 12" front/11" rear disc brakes, 9" 3.70 Auburn Pro posi.

"The older I get, the faster I was"


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:52 am 
Offline
Frequent Racer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:49 am
Posts: 388
Location: Whting, NJ
Maybe someday Tommy. Have lots of odds and ends. Just did shocks , Figuring out my jetting. All the little things. Hope to do better Tuesday night at Atco. Going over my carb I noticed I was not getting full throttle, a simple cable adjust but I over looked it. #-o

_________________
Lou G.

Blueprint 383 , T350, 2800 stall, GN 3.42 Posi. MT- ET Rs 255 60 x 15


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:32 pm 
Offline
MalibuRacing Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 7:26 am
Posts: 15783
Location: North Jersey
80driver wrote:
Maybe someday Tommy. Have lots of odds and ends. Just did shocks , Figuring out my jetting. All the little things. Hope to do better Tuesday night at Atco. Going over my carb I noticed I was not getting full throttle, a simple cable adjust but I over looked it. #-o



Cool! I just wish I could be doing something with Madge other than just collecting parts and fiddling. I'm just amazed I haven't lost interest after all these years. :lol:

Tommy

_________________
20k mile '80 Malibu, currently undergoing long term (aka no money) factory style install LS6 454, Cowl Induction, Legend LGT 700 5 speed. Full Global West suspension, 17" N90 wheels, 12" front/11" rear disc brakes, 9" 3.70 Auburn Pro posi.

"The older I get, the faster I was"


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Board index » TECHNICAL » Electrical/Wiring Technical


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron