No spark , can't find out why. Help!!

80driver

Frequent Racer
Nov 4, 2015
Whting, NJ
Crazy, I drove my 80 bu up my ramps , installed a driveshaft loop. Tried to start it and nothing. No spark.. I have power to the distributor. New MSD HEI ran fine for a couple of weeks. The only thing that is out of place is the alternator 2 wire plug looks burnt. Could a bad alternator stop the spark?

SO far I

1. Swapped coils no help.
2. Took off cap and rotor , no sign of short.
3. I'm about to put back my original HEI.

Where should I look next?

1981Regal

Dragway Regular
Mar 10, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
Do you have a tachometer hooked up? If so when cranking does the rpm come up? May be the ignition module.

80driver

Frequent Racer
Nov 4, 2015
Whting, NJ
grizwald said:
do you have an ignition box, or a module in the HEI cap? did you check your grounds?

HEI with module. MSD new . I will go over grounds

Thanks

80driver

Frequent Racer
Nov 4, 2015
Whting, NJ
1981Regal said:
Do you have a tachometer hooked up? If so when cranking does the rpm come up? May be the ignition module.

Yes tach hooked up but no movement when cranking.

Thanks.

80driver

Frequent Racer
Nov 4, 2015
Whting, NJ
Thanks everyone.

I just put in the original HEI. I now have spark when I pull the plug. It still wont start. It could be that in my frustration I might not have it in right.

I would think it would stumble or something , but nothing. It has a spark but wont' start.

1981Regal

Dragway Regular
Mar 10, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
Pull number one spark plug. Lightly stuff tissue or paper towel into the spark plug hole. Remove power wire from distributor. Bump the ignition key over til the tissue blows out. Check the balancer, marks should be close to the timing tab. Ease the balancer around to 10-12 before top dead center 0. Drop the distributor down so rotor lines up with #1 cylinder tower. Will probably need to move oil pump rod so distributor will fully seat. Hook up power to Hei. Should fire.

80driver

Frequent Racer
Nov 4, 2015
Whting, NJ
1981Regal said:
Pull number one spark plug. Lightly stuff tissue or paper towel into the spark plug hole. Remove power wire from distributor. Bump the ignition key over til the tissue blows out. Check the balancer, marks should be close to the timing tab. Ease the balancer around to 10-12 before top dead center 0. Drop the distributor down so rotor lines up with #1 cylinder tower. Will probably need to move oil pump rod so distributor will fully seat. Hook up power to Hei. Should fire.

Thanks Regal.

I read that somewhere. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!