Ignition switch adjustments

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
I am having trouble with the ignition switch on my El Camino. When I start it up, the switch doesn't return to the run position. The engine is running, but the starter doesn't stay engaged. Some of the dash lights stay on. I physically turn it back to the run position. I know that there's a switch on the bottom of the steering column. What is the correct way to adjust this switch?

t01blaze

Amateur Racer
Dec 14, 2011
South New Jersey
Is the rod binding or is the spring inside weak?
There isn't much of an adjustment to make. You can try loosening the two screws, the holes are slotted, and see if the switch re-aligns itself. I don't think it's going to be an adjustment problem though.

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
I don't know. Someone told me that it needed adjustment at the switch on the bottom of the column. This car has ralley guages plus the idiot lights on the right. I noticed that the idiot lights stay on until I physically turn switch back to run position. Would the spring cause this to happen? Thanks for the help.

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
The spring is inside the switch. You can remove the switch and see if the spring still works.

If you haven't touched the column assembly before, and now it is misbehaving, the spring in the switch may have failed. I haven't seen it happen before, but anything can happen.

The switch is easy to remove/replace. Install the switch with the switch and key in the lock position, with a little tension on the switch because the rod is not a tight fit into the switch, and it is adjusted.

If the column is on a bench, it is easier, but can still be done in the car.

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
Thanks. This is pretty new switch and the problem started when I put this tilt column in. I think the problem is that the switch on the bottom of the column needs adjustment. What is the proper way to check the lower switch for it's proper setting?

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
I put the lock in the Lock position, then make sure there is no preload between the rod and switch with the switch in the Lock position. Ignore what I said about keeping tension on the rod, or you risk the switch not being in the right position when the key is in the Lock position.

Is the pushrod binding? Has someone had the column apart before you got it?

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
Thanks. I don't know, I pulled it out of a Buick in a salvage yard. The Elk runs good, I have to turn the switch back to run. The battery holds a charge. How do I check the preload?

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
If you remove the switch, you can move it through the different positions. In the Start position, an internal spring should return it to the Run position. If the switch does not return, it is defective.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!