NEW WIRING KIT

bluemonte78

Amateur Racer
Aug 15, 2010
Ontario , Canada
I have slowly been replacing old spliced wires the original owner butchered. Car is race only so no wipers, stereo,heater etc. Was looking to really upgrade and clean things up .

Was looking at this : http://www.krperformance.com/index...._chr_kit&sid=63679c5798hkbp8mv8l6008ac01cy7t1

Not an expert on electrical work but this kit seems pretty straightforward. Has anybody experience on this kit or something similar. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

bluemonte78

Amateur Racer
Aug 15, 2010
Ontario , Canada
ANYBODY ???
Maybe you have pix of your wiring skills and some terminals blocks etc used on your ride that I can learn from.

kevind

Dragway Regular
Jan 7, 2009
Whitley City KY
I've used several of the universal kits like from Speedway Motors, Painless and Rebel Wire but not that one.

gman415

Dragway Regular
May 19, 2009
Chattanooga
K&R has some good stuff. Easy to set up, everything is labeled.

bluemonte78

Amateur Racer
Aug 15, 2010
Ontario , Canada
Great stuff, thanks guys will be looking into both a little closer. Plan is to relocate the 6AL, the timing retard box along with a terminal block onto a panel bolted inside and clean up all the loose wires. Anybody have some some pix of their set up. Was an YB but those are mostly extreme build up's not for my ride . Thanks

Ed Cannon

Pro Stocker
Jul 17, 2009
Johnson City Tn
That's a lot of coin for a basic system. The only thing that I don't like about that board besides the price is if you have a relay fail it looks like they are soldered to the board. All you really need besides a little wiring skill is a proper fuse box. Put relays on your pumps and fan motors. Just my .02. I'm a little biased though because I do automotive wiring for a living.

bluemonte78

Amateur Racer
Aug 15, 2010
Ontario , Canada
Hey Ed, a few questions going your route. Plan was to locate everything on the passenger floorspace. If I purchase a painless fuse box , relays etc what is the best material to mount these on ? Wood panel ( looks crappy) and alum sheeting ( cant locate locally) will not create a magnetic field . Will plexiglass 1/2 in. panel be OK.

Want to leave the existing fuse box hot to retain front / rear lights , turn signal light and dome light ( night racing and pit movement ). If I run all other electrical lines for Pumps, Fans, and gauges through the painless fuse box with it's own power will I have issues.

Plan is to retain the alternator and relocate battery in the trunk with a single wire from battery to alternator with a kill switch . Does this alt wire have to pass through the kill switch: +bat / kill sw / alt .

Thanks

Ed Cannon

Pro Stocker
Jul 17, 2009
Johnson City Tn
Plexiglass would be fine. A aluminum plate would be good. You could ground it good and have an excellent ground point for all your relays etc. I would use a buss bar for the ground hookups. You can hook the alternator charge wire to the big hot lug on the starter. Running the charge wire all the way to the back would be a waste of time and wire. Make sure to put a fuse link on the charge wire. The Master kill switch needs to be able to shut the car off while running.
As long as the factory fuse box still has power on the lights and turn fuses by way of the fuse link from the starter you will have no issues running the lights from the stock fuse box considering the related wiring is in order.
Make sure you have a good body ground.

10secBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Westminster, MD
I used the K&R HD kit, I like the stud version instead of the plastic sockets for wire attachment.

It's a great kit and a bargain when you take into consideration it includes the relay board, switch panel (connects with only one cable) and all the wire and connectors to wire the car minus battery cables.

I really wanted to run the Speedwire system, but it starts at $1200 for just the switch panel and relay board, no wiring or connectors. The K&R HD kit was just $550 and makes a MUCH neater install compared to hard wiring switches, etc. Avoid the painless membrane switch deal, feels pretty cheap in comparison to the K&R.

assembly38_zpsd242cdc2.jpg

assembly39_zpsee146212.jpg

assembly43_zps0cbdd039.jpg

assembly21_zpsb40de030.jpg

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!