Metal tube/ heat shield

nawlins-tim

Frequent Racer
Jan 28, 2010
New Orleans, Louisiana
Looking for some help with the placement of the metal tube heat shield that the starter wires go through on a Malibu/ El Camino. It may also be there on other models but I not sure.
My Malibu has been apart for quite a while and I just can't remember how that little tube goes. I'm sure it would be beneficial for heat protection from long tube SBC headers. Or any other heat shield recommendation would be appreciated. Thanks , Tim

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
Here are some pictures that I hope will help. The tube bolts to 1 of the bellhousing bolts.

The 2nd picture is taken from underneath the car, looking upwards.

04e9372b.jpg

fadbd6ab.jpg

Mike

Pro Stocker
May 27, 2003
New York
I just asked this question on the monte ss site. One guy posted a few photos. Even with all of the pictures I still couldn't figure out where the front bracket goes. Im using the smaller GM starter so I just cut it off and re welded the rear one that goes on the transmission bolt so it wouldn't crack since it was only spot welded.

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
I think it mounts to the starter, to one of the long bolts through the case. The mini starter won't have anything to match up. Mine is also just connected to the bellhousing bolt, since I have a GM mini starter.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!