Steering column swap

Dduck

Daily Driver
Jun 28, 2014
I have a 1980 Malibu , I am running a Muncie M22 transmission . I still have the original column shift automatic column in the car . I bought a 1979 Malibu 4 speed column . What if any problems will I have swapping the two columns . From what I can tell the manual column has One different colour wire , the rest are the same .
Secondly , I do I hook a neutral safety switch which I need to pass tech so I can race the car . Thanks in advance for any assistance ..

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
A)No NSS in G-Bodies, it's a mechanical stop, and B)No NSS in stick shift, there is a clutch safety switch you need that mounts to the clutch pedal bracket.

See if the different colored wires go to the same terminals, if so they're probably still the same, other than that it should just bolt in.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
The clutch safety switch uses the NSS wires. Just remove the jumper & plug them into the clutch switch.

Tommy

t01blaze

Amateur Racer
Dec 14, 2011
South New Jersey
LS6 Tommy said:
The clutch safety switch uses the NSS wires. Just remove the jumper & plug them into the clutch switch.

Tommy

Could someone please elaborate for me? NSS = neutral safety switch? Where are these wires on the car? I have my whole car (79 Malibu) completely torn down and I can't find any connector that is jumpered from the factory.

What I do know is that the automatic column shift steering column physically keeps you from turning the key to crank when not in park or neutral. The reverse light switch is at the base of the column on pre-computer controlled cars, and after 81 they added a (I call it a PNP=park neutral park) switch in with the reverse light switch that told the computer when the car was in gear or not. Lots of people call this the neutral safety switch. I figured it was just to help with runing the engine and increase idle quality when in gear to keep it from bogging, not to keep the car from cranking. The computer doesn't control that.

I was planning on cutting the purple wire from the ignition switch, going to the starter soleniod and using the clutch switch in between to break the starter circuit. I think it's a good idea. :-k dancin_banana.gif

t01blaze

Amateur Racer
Dec 14, 2011
South New Jersey
Doober said:
Last I looked, I thought the clutch switches weren't available new anymore... is anyone reproducing them? Mine still works fine, but there will come that one day...

Ask GSI if they are using an OEM clutch switch in this kit, also ask if they can sell one individually. I think this is the only pedal kit I have seen yet with the switch included. , GSI Interiors

Last edited by a moderator:

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
I should have been clearer. There's no actual "jumper", the purple starter solenoid wire that comes off the ignition switch goes to a connector under the dash, then the other end of that goes to the solenoid. Disconnect that connector & hook the wire to the clutch switch, then go from the other side of the clutch switch to the solenoid.

Tommy

Dduck

Daily Driver
Jun 28, 2014
Thanks for the help everyone . NPD shows then in their 2014 catalog but unfortunately they have been on back order for months . I did a little research and the clutch safety switch for a 1980 4 speed Monza is a match for the Malibu switch . No to figure out how it mounts . Cheers

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
The replacement switch has 4 spades. Two spades work with the switch in one direction and the other 2 work with the switch in the other direction.

If you find the proper switch, you will be OK. I have an original Malibu clutch switch for sale, if you are unable to find one.

Any extra wires on the column are likely due to a different wiper switch than the one you have already. If you are swapping non-tilt to non-tilt or tilt to tilt, you can swap the switches.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!