Help with starting system

1978_Andy_Project

Daily Driver
May 21, 2014
Alton, Illinois
I have an engine compartment with wires cut off, "kind-of" labeled, connected to things....... Tried looking at the wiring diagrams and only a few things match up. I think the previous owner used a push button to start, or at least I found one in the "magic bucket" of parts he gave me... Could someone please take a look at my diagram I put together and tell me who goes where? I really want to understand how it all works, if someone has good link to a explanation somewhere.??

Thank you in advance for any help!!

gman415

Dragway Regular
May 19, 2009
Chattanooga
The Purple wire goes to the starter (the green one on your drawing)
I'll look more later.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Last edited by a moderator:

1978_Andy_Project

Daily Driver
May 21, 2014
Alton, Illinois
Thanks guys for the help!! It sounds/looks like the purple goes to green on the solenoid like Tim stated ("S" post if I'm looking at it right). Currently this has a pretty small gauge green wire on the solenoid. Any idea why someone would go to such a small gauge considering the purple is 3x as big? I will just run some new purple that matches in size the the current purple. The brown/white should not be needed since the car only has an indicator light, which is intact going thru the firewall. If I understand the diagrams Tommy referenced, the 2 red that join together from the alternator go the BAT terminal on the solenoid. The other 2 red from the BAT terminal go to the light switch and the ignition switch. Is it safe to assume that "C100" on the diagrams refers to the firewall? That would make sense.. Sorry for rambling, just excited but dead tired.... Just got off midnights and need a bit of sleep, but I'll update my diagram and see what you think. Thanks!!!!!!

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Last edited by a moderator:

1978_Andy_Project

Daily Driver
May 21, 2014
Alton, Illinois
Thanks Doober! The car only has warning lights, sweep speedo, and a gas gauge... However, it DOES have a trio of aftermarket gauges laying in the floorboard with 2 hooked up. Water temp (runs to a black wire at the intake manifold where thermostat is) and Oil Pressure (has small diameter plastic tubing ran to a fitting on the back end of manifold by distributor.../??). The third is volts, with a male 2 blade connector. Thought about just tossing them, but they may be worth keeping around.... Here's an updated diagram to chew on, I must go to bed!! And dream of starting that car someday..... or at least givin' her a crank later today!!! :D

gman415

Dragway Regular
May 19, 2009
Chattanooga
That should get it spinning over. With the pink wire to the distributor, it should fire.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Don't forget, your new red wires from the starter solenoid to the car should have fusible links on them. Don't want any fires...

Tommy

1978_Andy_Project

Daily Driver
May 21, 2014
Alton, Illinois
I looked up fusible links and have NOTHING like what I saw. After checking out the diagrams, it looks like I should put one inline from each of the reds going from the light and ignition switches, and the line from the alternator, to the solenoid BAT terminal, for a total of 3.??

Will it still be okay just to 'bump' it and see what I get? Or will I damage something if the links aren't there to blow? I won't be doing any actual attempt at starting it (not without the carb installed....), just want to make sure my electrical system is in order before me and the boy move forward and go deeper in this beast! Thanks so much for the help so far!!!

1978_Andy_Project

Daily Driver
May 21, 2014
Alton, Illinois
Bought 3 of the 14ga fusible links, hooked them up and tested continuity, everything checked out good. Hooked the battery up, checked my lights and turn sigs, all fine. Tried to crank it and I get a big nothing..??? Not sure how to start troubleshooting this besides diving into the diagrams and making sure the ignition switch wires all go where they're supposed to. Maybe a wire got pulled from a connector to make the old push button work? Any ideas....???

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!