Hopefully an easy fix to an electrical question...

1978_Andy_Project

Daily Driver
May 21, 2014
Alton, Illinois
When we acquired the car, all the wires coming thru the firewall to the ignition system had been cut, labeled with 3M painter's tape and a felt tip pen, and left bare. My son and I dropped a new battery in the 79 Bu last weekend, not knowing what to expect. I hooked the battery up, got in and pushed in the brakes. The brake lights came on but I also had a few others...??? The front passenger side turn signal marker adjacent the grill, the front driver's side outside turn signal marker, and the passenger side dash turn signal indicator. I tried the hazards, nothing. Turn signals, nothing. Only get these lights if we push in the brakes. But at least that's a start!! I did try these using all the key positions as well...

I checked all the fuses and they are fine. All the harnesses look undisturbed and intact. What could someone have hooked together to cause this? I saw the wiring diagrams link and it looks like some valuable info there.... to someone who has done this before. I have a book, a volt meter, and determination. Can anyone give me a clue about how to start troubleshooting this? Here's a pic to show you what I'm working with...

Any help would be appreciated!

gman415

Dragway Regular
May 19, 2009
Chattanooga
I had this happen on a truck once, it ended up being the turn signal switch.

Ed Cannon

Pro Stocker
Jul 17, 2009
Johnson City Tn
You have a bad chassis ground. The brake light are grounding threw the other bulbs causing them to light up. Run a good ground from the block to the body,or the neg battery end and the body.

1978_Andy_Project

Daily Driver
May 21, 2014
Alton, Illinois
Thanks for the reply! I checked/cleaned the body ground coming from the battery and have good continuity from the neg post to the body. The ground going to the eng block is solid too.. I haven't been able to check the turn signal switch yet, seems pretty deep w/out a puller. I'll have more time this weekend hopefully to do some more checking. Thanks for the tips!!!

1978_Andy_Project

Daily Driver
May 21, 2014
Alton, Illinois
I was able to get the head/park lights working, just needed to pull the panel/switch and clean some gunk out. Now the wipers work too!! I still have the issue with the parking lights changing when I press the brakes.? I checked all the grounds I could find by the tail lights and front headlights and they all were in good shape. Changed out the battery neg cable and cleaned an new spot to the fender to mount it. Do you think it is still a turn signal switch issue? Someone has done some things to the car in the past, looks like stereo, push button start..... All that is gone now, and I'm left with harnesses and holes in the dash, plus wires cut off and labeled with blank painter's tape!! I would really like to get the brakes/lights issue resolved if anyone has any other ideas??

Thanks for the help so far!!

Ed Cannon

Pro Stocker
Jul 17, 2009
Johnson City Tn
Is your hazard switch all the way OFF?

1978_Andy_Project

Daily Driver
May 21, 2014
Alton, Illinois
Yes it is. I pulled the switch out to engage them and get nothing... I pushed it all the way back in, still have the same issue. I am going to get a new hazard and flasher relays. They look pretty crusty and they're only a couple bucks. I'll let you know how it works out here in a bit.

1978_Andy_Project

Daily Driver
May 21, 2014
Alton, Illinois
Just put new flashers in, tried directional flasher first. As soon as battery was connected, the same lights that come on steady when the brake switch is pushed come on, but flash like the turn signal is on. Tried the hazards and got nothing. Gonna try a new turn signal switch soon.... Not sure where else to try next..._???

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
You pull the hazard switch OUT to turn the hazards OFF. Pushing the button IN turns the hazards ON... Sounds like the hazard switch may be shorted.

Tommy

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!