Fast idle relay

Static

Amateur Racer
Mar 15, 2005
Apache Junction, Arizona
Been having problems with the car starting (have to just crack the throttle) and keeping it running with the a/c on. I checked and the fast idle is not working. I thought the relay was bad and found another one but its missing a pin. Is there a good part number for this relay? Is there a diagram for the wiring of that circuit? Seems like I have power on the light green. May have lost ground tho.

Ed Cannon

Pro Stocker
Jul 17, 2009
Johnson City Tn
"The car" I assume its a carburetor. Your idle kicker solinoid is for a/c operation. Sounds like a choke stove or stuck choke linkage to me. The choke system has a fast idle cam that keeps the rpm up until the choke element heats up completely.

Static

Amateur Racer
Mar 15, 2005
Apache Junction, Arizona
Thanks for the reply. Its an 86 Grand Prix. So its 2 different issues Im having then. I will look into the choke issue and look for a stuck linkge. im more interested in figuring out why it doesnt idle up when the a/c is on. I opened up the old relay and plugged it back in and I can operate it "manually" and it engages the solenoid at the throttle lever. I have 12v on light green wire. Where does it ground thru the ecm?

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I'm not 100% sure it grounds through the ECM, not really sure how the "ECM" works with the carbs though. My thought is since it's just a carb, wiring may be related to the A/C wiring - i.e. soon as the pressure switch drops enough for the compressor clutch to engage, it also kicks up the idle.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!