cars dead no power to anything except headlights

jaywill

Frequent Racer
Jun 15, 2006
REIDSVILLE,NC
Could it be a fusible link ??? if so how can I fix it ???

81classic

Top Fueler
Jun 5, 2003
North Port, Fl
find out which one is bad and just replace the fusible link. Should be able to get them at any auto parts store

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Never replace fusible links with fuses. Fuses can't handle the extended current draw starting & other processes need. They'll just pop all the time...

Tommy

gman415

Dragway Regular
May 19, 2009
Chattanooga
Your right Tommy, After re-reading my post it does sound like I'm talking about a regular fuse.

I found this to test the link: "Fusible link wire is covered with a special thick, non-flammable insulation. An overload condition causes the insulation to blister. If the overall condition continues, the wire will melt. To check a fusible link, look for blistering insulation. If the insulation is OK, pull gently on the wire. If the fusible link stretches, the wire has melted. Fusible links are usually located in the starting or charging system circuits."

Now finding one that looks like the original may be a problem. I've looked and the only thing I've found is this type of link:
fusiblelinks.jpg

http://www.alanhorvath.com/54chevy/fusible_links.php
But this should work just fine.

jaywill

Frequent Racer
Jun 15, 2006
REIDSVILLE,NC
gman415 said:
Your right Tommy, After re-reading my post it does sound like I'm talking about a regular fuse.

I found this to test the link: "Fusible link wire is covered with a special thick, non-flammable insulation. An overload condition causes the insulation to blister. If the overall condition continues, the wire will melt. To check a fusible link, look for blistering insulation. If the insulation is OK, pull gently on the wire. If the fusible link stretches, the wire has melted. Fusible links are usually located in the starting or charging system circuits."

Now finding one that looks like the original may be a problem. I've looked and the only thing I've found is this type of link:
fusiblelinks.jpg

http://www.alanhorvath.com/54chevy/fusible_links.php
But this should work just fine.

thats what i just put on mine....on break now..will c if she will fire up when i get off work :mrgreen:

jaywill

Frequent Racer
Jun 15, 2006
REIDSVILLE,NC
Replace the fusible link that was bad hooked everything back up now my battery is shooting sparks !!! WTH WRONG NOW ???

gman415

Dragway Regular
May 19, 2009
Chattanooga
Just throwing this out there with out looking at it.

maybe you had an issue before that caused the first link to go bad. Replacing the link has now made it short straight to ground.

Take the link back off the starter. get a volt meter and touch one lead to a hot (battery\starter) and the other lead to the link you just replaced. if it shows voltage, you have a short.
Trace the wire the link is in down and keep checking it the same way until you find it (no more volts). If it's arcing the way you say it shouldn't be hard to find visually.

jaywill

Frequent Racer
Jun 15, 2006
REIDSVILLE,NC
gman415 said:
Just throwing this out there with out looking at it.

maybe you had an issue before that caused the first link to go bad. Replacing the link has now made it short straight to ground.

Take the link back off the starter. get a volt meter and touch one lead to a hot (battery\starter) and the other lead to the link you just replaced. if it shows voltage, you have a short.
Trace the wire the link is in down and keep checking it the same way until you find it (no more volts). If it's arcing the way you say it shouldn't be hard to find

Ok .. do you think the other factory link is bad that was connected to the starter with the other one that was burnt.. the wire still intact on that 1 and you can't pull it apart like I did the bad 1

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!