Alternator??????

bowtie81

Mar 28, 2008
sarnia, ontario canada
What size of alternator (amperage) would i need to properly run with msd, 1 eletric fan 2500 cfm no other acc's just your lights?

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
hmm i ran a small amp,two small fans and a msd on my stocker.i wonder now if i was on borrowed time.i think it was 65 amps...i think.

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
i have a 140 amp cs style 1 wire alternator on mine. i currently have an elec. w/p, fan, mallory ignition, and lights that rarely get turned on (i seem to be knocked out of competition long before night time falls usually :lol: ). i also plan to put an elec. fuel pump in down the road, and who knows what else....so i figured the bigger alt was a better option for me.

bowtie81

Mar 28, 2008
sarnia, ontario canada
I just talked to MSD and they said just the MSD needs a min of 55amps.

bluemonte78

Amateur Racer
Aug 15, 2010
Ontario , Canada
Good point bowtie. If I assume most older alts dont deliver the advertised amps then my 65 amp alternator is shy to cover my MSD requirements. I run 2500 cfm fan, electric water pump , holley blue fuel pump plus the MSD 6A. Wonder what the effect is on the MSD / coil with a low amp output when racing . Mine is track only ..

Was planning to rewire mine to 105 amp and this is a good enough reason.

bowtie81

Mar 28, 2008
sarnia, ontario canada
bluemonte78 said:
Good point bowtie. If I assume most older alts dont deliver the advertised amps then my 65 amp alternator is shy to cover my MSD requirements. I run 2500 cfm fan, electric water pump , holley blue fuel pump plus the MSD 6A. Wonder what the effect is on the MSD / coil with a low amp output when racing . Mine is track only ..

Was planning to rewire mine to 105 amp and this is a good enough reason.

I would think there would be some kind of slight power loss with possibly fubarring the msd box.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts