Automatic floor shifter (neutral safety and reverse light )

pat1979 malibu

Daily Driver
Jul 16, 2010
Mount Ephraim,NJ
Hey guys, has anyone ever hooked up a B&M shifter? I currently am column shifted and would like to convert to a floor shifter and I want the neutral safety switch and reverse lights to still function. Do you know what color wires i need to look for to hook up correctly? Thanks

clint

Top Fueler
Oct 10, 2008
brodheadsville,pa
Re: Automatic floor shifter (neutral safety and reverse ligh

i have yet to hook my stuff up yet but there should somw info in here maybe a few pages back

RatMalibu

Pro Stocker
May 21, 2003
Rolla, Mo.
www.fidnet.com

the neutral safety and reverse lights are just plugged into their respective switches toward the base of the column (on the top side I think) when I had an automatic in the car I was using a Hurst Pro-matic 2 and just used some spade terminals and wire to extend the stock wiring from the column to the shifter and plugged them in.....that's been 5 years ago of so, so I'm not sure about specifics but any wire schematic should show them.

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com

1978-1981 Malibus do not have a neutral safety switch if it is an automatic car. The inability to start the car unless in P or N is part of the mechanics of the steering column. The key will not move to the start position unless in P or N.

78_Elky

Pro Stocker
Mar 9, 2005
Oregon
smlblk78.onlineshowoff.com

You can wire the neutral safety switch to only start the car in P or N by setting it up on the new shifter. You just have to use the microswitch that comes with the new shifter and if it isn't in the right gear the car won't start. Of course that takes some trial and error to get it just right. I installed my B&M over 5 years ago but I believe the purple wire is the starter wire and that is what I interrupted with the new microswitch. The column shift I just left in the park position and removed the lever and linkage. As for the backup lights I just wired those into their microswitch on the new shifter...some people leave them on the column switch and leave the lever in there to activate them :roll:
Jess

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts