dome light

dwelch

Daily Driver
Aug 1, 2012
did not see anything about the dome light in the diagrams. might have just overlooked it. does any body know the correct lamp for my 81 bu dome light.the zone seems to have a hard time getting it right. the white wire came loose when i checked to see why it was not working. it seems to be hot on both ends which seems to have a different lamp than most of the lights. i hope there is enough slack to splice the wire back to the fixture or i will attempt to make a different light socket work. thanks:D

Brown_Gbody

Top Fueler
Feb 17, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Yeah, it's not grounded up at the roof area, so it will be hot (lamp is in series in the circuit)

Sorry, I don't know the number for that lamp....

dwelch

Daily Driver
Aug 1, 2012
thanks for the reply. i think my best bet is to fabricate a socket in there and use a more common lamp. i'll have to do that cause one end of the original socket just broke off. :D

Brown_Gbody

Top Fueler
Feb 17, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Should be an easy replacement. Pretty much every GM from that era uses the same lamp assy.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
It's hot at both sides because the ground is at the door switches. Either one turns the dome light on. Bulb is a 561. Here's a replacement unit (the lens is not accurate):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1978-1985-G-Body-Monte-Carlo-SS-Regal-Cutlass-Grand-prix-Interior-Dome-Light-/380459513076?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item58952774f4#ht_500wt_922

Here's an LED festoon bulb replacement:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=%2Fspecs%2FRL4410-xHP9.htm

Tommy

81classic

Top Fueler
Jun 5, 2003
North Port, Fl
if you end up needing a base let me know, I have a new one that I did not end up using

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
i wonder i that led is to bright,as in melt the lens?i wonder if its better for an interior light vs the standard bulb

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
melloelky said:
i wonder i that led is to bright,as in melt the lens?i wonder if its better for an interior light vs the standard bulb

It should put out a lot more light & it might have a cooler color temperature, too. Things might look a little less softly lit, more like mid day than late morning or early evening sun. It won't melt the lens, either. LEDs run much cooler than incandescent bulbs.

Tommy

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!