Starter engaged w/o ign. key on!

CHimp66

Amateur Racer
Nov 23, 2010
Augusta, GA
Greetings! I installed a remote starter solenoid kit and when we connected the battery, the starter turned the engine over. The ignition key was in the ignition, but the switch was off! Why did this happen and how shall I fix it?

CHimp66

Amateur Racer
Nov 23, 2010
Augusta, GA
I did just that. I had the starter/solenoid checked and it ran fine. After I reattached the wires per the instructions metal jumper piece on batt. bolt on starter solenoid to "s" bolt, thick gauge cable to batt. bolt, that cable to the right side of the remote solenoid, purple ignition wire to "s" terminal on the remote solenoid, red power cables and thick gauge cable from battery to the left side of the remote solenoid and turn the ignition switch, I have power because the radio comes on. However, as I continue to turn the key to crank the car, the remote solenoid clicks and the radio cuts off....but the starter does nothing.

80malibucoup

Frequent Racer
Feb 8, 2011
Jonesboro,Ga
CHimp66 said:
I did just that. I had the starter/solenoid checked and it ran fine. After I reattached the wires per the instructions metal jumper piece on batt. bolt on starter solenoid to "s" bolt, thick gauge cable to batt. bolt, that cable to the right side of the remote solenoid, purple ignition wire to "s" terminal on the remote solenoid, red power cables and thick gauge cable from battery to the left side of the remote solenoid and turn the ignition switch, I have power because the radio comes on. However, as I continue to turn the key to crank the car, the remote solenoid clicks and the radio cuts off....but the starter does nothing.
How good a battery do you have? Is everything grounded right? You might need a battery with a higher cranking amps.

CHimp66

Amateur Racer
Nov 23, 2010
Augusta, GA
80malibucoup, I have a new 800 cold cranking/ 1000 cranking amp battery that has a ground wire from the neg post to the inner fender, the thick gauge neg battery cable to the engine block, the remote solenoid is supposed to be grounded just by bolting it againt bare metal, but I ran a ground wire from the remote solenoid bracket screw to the bolt that has the neg battery ground on the inner fender. Plus the ground from the firewall to the block....

gman415

Dragway Regular
May 19, 2009
Chattanooga
Using a test light, see if you have power to the purple wire on the remote solenoid, if so see if you have power to the starter side of the solenoid. If you have a meter you can see how many volts are going to the starter.

As far as the radio cutting off while starting, thats what it does. No issue there.

gman415

Dragway Regular
May 19, 2009
Chattanooga
starter_solenoid.gif

Just in case, but sounds like what you have.

CHimp66

Amateur Racer
Nov 23, 2010
Augusta, GA
Ok, I took a wire brush to every mounting surface and reconnected all of the grounds and remounted the starter. I even reconnected the wires to the remote solenoid just as it is in the diagram above (not as it was in the instructions from the kit) and attemped to attach the positive batt. cable. No sparks and the starter did not turn the engine over! I turn the ignition key and voila! She starts to crank, so I released the key so I could tighten everything. I'm almost happy!! After I tighten everything and attempt to re-attach the positive batt. cable, I get sparks and the starter turns the engine over!!! :shock:

What the curse_sign.gif is up...?

80malibucoup

Frequent Racer
Feb 8, 2011
Jonesboro,Ga
That sounds like something in the ignition system.Have you replaced the colum at all? Check to see if there is a break in the ignition wire.Has the car ever had an aftermarket alarm on it? I'm just throwing darts.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts