Having electrical problems

uestraven

Daily Driver
Nov 13, 2011
Long Island
I have a 1979 Malibu. The other day everything was working fine when all of a sudden the power stopped working. I checked the battery and tested every wire under the hood and there was power. The problem was when I turned the key, no gauges lit up, and the starter wouldn't turn over. Do you think it could've been my ignition switch?

Ed Cannon

Pro Stocker
Jul 17, 2009
Johnson City Tn
Well either the ignition switch has failed or has a burned connection at the switch or its most likely a blown fuse link.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
My guess is fusible link, they're connected down on the starter to the same terminal as the battery from the factory.

gman415

Dragway Regular
May 19, 2009
Chattanooga
If you don't know, this is what a "fusable link" looks like
Fusible_Links.jpg

uestraven

Daily Driver
Nov 13, 2011
Long Island
So I bought a new ignition switch. The only problem is I have no idea where to find the old one to replace it. Is it under the dash somewhere?

uestraven

Daily Driver
Nov 13, 2011
Long Island
The entire car was gone through before I got it so Im not sure if the stock fusible link is still in the car. It might be. Where would it be and what would it look like? Also if its not stock would it be different??

Ed Cannon

Pro Stocker
Jul 17, 2009
Johnson City Tn
GM ignition switches fail all the time. Ive replace a 5 gallon bucket full of them in the past 12 years at an electrical specialty shop. Don't just replace it check the fuse links first. They are the easiest to check if blown they will just pull apart. Keep in mind something had to blow the link.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!