What size wire?

JuniorJ

Frequent Racer
I am installing a push button start on a project. What gauge wire is best to use?

Thanks.

Ed Cannon

Pro Stocker
Jul 17, 2009
Johnson City Tn
depends. if your using the push button to carry all the load use an 8 gauge wire. If your using a relay (thats the best way) the control wires are much smaller and the load wires should still be at least 10 gauge.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Just to be clear, you CANNOT put the type of current a starter draws through a push button switch, no matter what gauge wire you use. You MUST use the button to energize a relay. GM uses a solenoid on the starter motor energized by the key switch. If all you're doing is replacing the key switch with a button switch, G bodies used 12 gauge wire. It's circuit #6 & the wire is purple...

Tommy

JuniorJ

Frequent Racer
LS6 Tommy said:
Just to be clear, you CANNOT put the type of current a starter draws through a push button switch, no matter what gauge wire you use. You MUST use the button to energize a relay. GM uses a solenoid on the starter motor energized by the key switch. If all you're doing is replacing the key switch with a button switch, G bodies used 12 gauge wire. It's circuit #6 & the wire is purple...

Tommy

Here is what is going on, I bought a 93 S10 blazer with a sbc, the colum is broken where the plunger rod attaches. You can turn the key on and jump/arc the starter an it will run till you turn the key off, so I just want to be able to turn the key on and push the button.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
JuniorJ said:
LS6 Tommy said:

Tommy

Here is what is going on, I bought a 93 S10 blazer with a sbc, the colum is broken where the plunger rod attaches. You can turn the key on and jump/arc the starter an it will run till you turn the key off, so I just want to be able to turn the key on and push the button.

That's pretty much what I was picturing. We're thinking on the same page...

Tommy

JuniorJ

Frequent Racer
LS6 Tommy said:
JuniorJ said:
LS6 Tommy said:

Tommy

That's pretty much what I was picturing. We're thinking on the same page...

Tommy

Thanks for the info.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!