HELP!!!!!! BRAKE LIGHT/TURN SIGNAL with Race column

59RAT

Frequent Racer
Nov 18, 2007
Port Saint Lucie Fl.
Need HELP!!!!!!!! with a way to get the turn signal and brake lights to work with out the stock column. I have the wiring figured out yellow wire left light, light blue left dash turn light, green right light, dark blue right dash turn light, purple is the flasher for left & right, white is for the brake light switch. I can get the turns to work OR the brakes but not both. Anyone know of a way that disconnects the brakes from the turn without the stock column?????? Thanks Rod

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
You effectively need an SPDT switch to run inline between the brake and turn signal switch. When the turn signal switch is engaged it switches current from the brake light switch circuit to the turn signal switch circuit. You could also accomplish this with a pair of relays.

59RAT

Frequent Racer
Nov 18, 2007
Port Saint Lucie Fl.
Doober said:
You effectively need an SPDT switch to run inline between the brake and turn signal switch. When the turn signal switch is engaged it switches current from the brake light switch circuit to the turn signal switch circuit. You could also accomplish this with a pair of relays.

OK, help me understand this. When I switch to turn signals what happens to the other brake light it goes out right? I thought about using a normaly closed relay, but when I turn the signal on it's a off/on/off/on signal and the relay will see this and open close which will not keep the brake light on. Still need help!!

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
You would need a separate SPDT relay for each side. I don't have a way to easily make/draw a schematic right now so I'll just use one for the relay.
Picture1.jpg

V1 and V2 will be the trigger from your switch. Terminal B would come off the flasher (which has ignition-switched or constant 12v on the other flasher terminal), terminal A would come from the brake light switch, and terminal C would go to each of your brake lights. Depending on which side you select with the switch, the appropriate relay is triggered, opening the circuit from the taillight switch and closing the circuit to the flasher. The OE turn signal switch has this functionality built in... it's basically a 4-pole, double throw switch, with two poles for each of the taillights.

59RAT

Frequent Racer
Nov 18, 2007
Port Saint Lucie Fl.
Thanks, I think I understand it. I'll try this over the weekend and let you know. Again thank you for taking the time to help me understand this. Rod

87SS-ZZ3

Frequent Racer
Oct 9, 2004
Pantego, NC
Just go to your local auto parts store (one that actually knows what parts fit) and get a turn signal switch for a big truck. It clamps to the column and handles all the switch functions and has signal indicators in it. Like this: http://www.truckspring.com/heavy-duty-truck-parts/electrical/turn-signal-switches/universal-fit/VSM900.aspx

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!