Alternator wiring mess puzzle of the day

406malibu78

Weekend Racer
Feb 10, 2012
pittsfield mass
Guys, please look at the pics and see if you can tell me what the bozo I bought my 81 malibu was doing with the alt wiring.... I want to clean this mess up...Cob job of the month?

Attachments

• 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    148.1 KB · Views: 2,635
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 2,628
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    137.9 KB · Views: 2,625

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Check to see where the blue wire off the alternator goes. It needs to go to a switched 12v source with a 25-ohm resistor (10-15 watt) or simply to the alternator light as it would with the stock wiring. The other wire on that plug some simpy loop around to the 'battery' post on the alternator, but there is a specific way that is 'proper' to get the right charging voltage, though I'm not sure what that is. Double check to see where the other wires coming off the battery post go, they may be important (power for interior, etc.).

gman415

Dragway Regular
May 19, 2009
Chattanooga
Best I can tell........the blue w/red crimp may be the "activation" wire that should be switched hot. The red /yellow crimp is always hot.
One of the wires on the back goes to the battery (starter). The rest????????

The pink /heat shrink looks like a factory wire, may be the fuse box feed, that is usually on the starter.

http://www.maliburacing.com/wiring_diagrams/StarterSystem.jpg

http://www.maliburacing.com/wiring_diagrams/ChargeCircuit.jpg

gman415

Dragway Regular
May 19, 2009
Chattanooga
Those extra wires could be for electric fan ect. if thay used relays.
Not the way I would do it but who knows.
Just a thought.

art

Amateur Racer
Aug 8, 2008
Mastic, New York 11950
Is that a ballast resistor? You shouldn't need that unless you are running points. That also looks like an old 12 si 60 amp or so alternator. A CS 130 might carry all those hot leads a bit better.

406malibu78

Weekend Racer
Feb 10, 2012
pittsfield mass
Thanks for the help so far, wiring as follows.... 4 wires off main stud with nut go to, 1 battery positive terminal,,, 2 to pink wire into main harness, 3 to red wire into main harness, and 4 to top flat plug on top of alt.. Blue wire connects to brown to lower term on ballast resistor..Brown off bottom of fuse box goes into main harness... 1 red off fuse box goes to electric fuel pump, and other red goes to electric choke.. Sorry to call the guy a bozo, but he did things to this car that you cant imagine, let me vent ,,, welded the broken seat track on the car and burnt the carpet up. welded the shifter handle to the shifter .....

Attachments

• 047.JPG
    047.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 2,604
  • 048.JPG
    048.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 2,606

406malibu78

Weekend Racer
Feb 10, 2012
pittsfield mass
But as far as the wiring he said the car needed the ballast resistor to reduce the voltage to 7 volts ?????? I want to eliminate the firewall mounted fuse box and the resistor... I appreciate any help

gman415

Dragway Regular
May 19, 2009
Chattanooga
406malibu78 said:
Thanks for the help so far, wiring as follows.... 4 wires off main stud with nut go to, 1 battery positive terminal,,, 2 to pink wire into main harness, 3 to red wire into main harness, and 4 to top flat plug on top of alt..
This could work but it's a lot nicer if all that was at the starter.(factory
Blue wire connects to brown to lower term on ballast resistor..Brown off bottom of fuse box goes into main harness... 1 red off fuse box goes to electric fuel pump, and other red goes to electric choke.. Sorry to call the guy a bozo, but he did things to this car that you cant imagine, let me vent ,,, welded the broken seat track on the car and burnt the carpet up. welded the shifter handle to the shifter .....He has made a switched hot junction out of the fuse box. I have done this too but mine was behind the passanger side kick panel with fuses and relays.
I posted links in my previous post.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!