Car is dead

unclepudge

Frequent Racer
Apr 17, 2006
CT
Hi Guys ,I've been tinkering with the wagon a bit and today I finished installing an aluminum intake and 4 BBL carb. . While I was cranking it just stopped tuning over no lights on dash nothing. My question is, is there a fusible link or something along the way that could have blown I believe I set the distributor correctly to number one cylinder. Unfortunately my garage is my enclosed trailer for the winter so I don't have much room to move around to test things, thanks for your time.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Yup. Everything feeds from 2 fusible links at the starter.

http://www.maliburacing.com/wiring_diagrams/StarterSystem.jpg

Tommy

unclepudge

Frequent Racer
Apr 17, 2006
CT
After I asked I remember that happening to me once before Some say you can replace it with a regular 25 or 30 amp fuse have you ever done that

z28krazy

Amateur Racer
Apr 10, 2010
New Braunfels, Texas
unclepudge said:
After I asked I remember that happening to me once before Some say you can replace it with a regular 25 or 30 amp fuse have you ever done that

A 30amp automotive type electrical breaker works better than the fuse. When it trips, all you have to do is wait until it cools off a bit and it resets itself. With the fuse, you'll have to get out and replace the fuse (if you have remembered to put a spare in the glove box). ](*,)

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
NEVER replace fusible links with fuses or breakers. Fusible links are designed to handle short term amperage spikes that a fuse or breaker won't tolerate. You'll just keep blowing the fuse or tripping the breaker. I'm not saying you would do it, but this leads some people to try a higher rated fuse/breaker to eliminate the nuisance trips. Then they have a fire...

Tommy

timo22

Amateur Racer
Sep 13, 2011
St. Louis, Mo
I agree...if you burn out a fusible link,you definitely have an electrical short.this matter needs to be fixed before replacing the link.putting a circuit breaker or a bigger fuse is just putting a band aid on the problem.you really need to figure out the cause of the short.

unclepudge

Frequent Racer
Apr 17, 2006
CT
Thanks for the info guys, still recovering from cervical surgery not much time to get to the heart of the matter, it was fine for about a year and a half no problems and now that I changed intake it blew again trying to crank a bit too much possibly? Maybe one of these wires is in the wrong spot. I have the pink from the dash to the small term. and then 2 other red wires one that goes to a soldering joint and black plug and one direct from the firewall? I'm not a diagram guy so that doesn't help either lol

unclepudge

Frequent Racer
Apr 17, 2006
CT
After looking over the diagram Tommy I think I understand it more. 98 degrees out today gonna save it for a cooler day.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Mine burned out in my '81 while driving down the road, I think one shorted against the heat shield. In a pinch I used 10 gauge wire, and extended each of the wires directly to the battery. Tommy & I posted back & forth in another thread about fuses, etc. in place of fusible links. I don't like the idea of the wires running down to starter next to the headers, so when I do the wiring in my '78 I'll probably put the links in somewhere on the passenger side of the engine compartment and tie them in before they run down to the starter.

unclepudge

Frequent Racer
Apr 17, 2006
CT
That's what I was trying to do but they all have the connectors on them already so I guess I would need a power block to wire it that way? I have an older motor that I have alot of extra emmissions wires and the like hanging around wondering if one of them is causing the problem,. I started to go the relay route but am headed to the store for some fusible links and see what happens next. Hopefully I have power at some point today miss driving my car.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts