FUEL GAUGE WIRING

brunz21

Amateur Racer
Jan 17, 2012
chicago, IL
Hey guys, i ripped out the printed circuit paper on the back of my cluster, its the 79 sweep style. im not using anything but the fuel gauge, and i need to know where to attach the wires. theres three leads coming out of the rear of the factory fuel gauge. what wires go where? i gutted the entire car, and im using a Painless Wiring kit. I need to know where the pink wire goes, and if the other two posts get a wire, i need to find out what wire, and where it goes. the back of the gauge isnt marked. ill try to post some pics later. any help would be great. thanks!

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Follow the traces to the terminals of the board where it would connect to the harness, hopefully you at least still have that. The pink/black is power, solid pink is sending unit, black is ground. After the gauges in mine started getting poor connections (30 years of Michigan, etc.) I decided to wire up a molex connector using the method I just described (following traces to the harness to verify connections) and tapped into the harness a little ways behind the actual connector, I also removed the little spring connectors that slipped over the rear of the gauges. I did that mainly because at night the dash lights were finding a ground through the gauges. I believe the nuts I used are #6.

brunz21

Amateur Racer
Jan 17, 2012
chicago, IL
hey thanks man, at least i know that it does get three wires, a ground, the sender, and im assuming that the positive is a keyed-on ignition positive. as for the printed circuit paper... well i was so smart that i victory dunked it into the trash after ripping it off like an animal, so no luck on that. anyone else have any ideas???

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!