Dash Lights...

timo22

Amateur Racer
Sep 13, 2011
St. Louis, Mo
Hoping someone can shed some light on my problem...Couldn't resist that one! Anyhow on my 81 , my dashlights are off. This past summer when I would hit a bump ,they would go out.I could hit my dash and they would come back on.this "worked" for a while but now they are always off. I am pretty sure it is a ground problem. I have my autometer gauges jumped off my dashlights wire(the gray one) and they work fine. I am not sure how the dashlights are grounded and would like to know before I take it all apart. Thanks in advance for your help!

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
When I had that problem, it was the rectangular connector at the back of the dash. If you remove the entire dash housing, you can unplug it from the dash harness. Clean all the contacts with a pencil eraser on the dash and the harness plug; the copper contacts will become shiny. Be careful with the dash contacts; they are printed to a plastic sheet.

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
t5montecarlo said:
When I had that problem, it was the rectangular connector at the back of the dash. If you remove the entire dash housing, you can unplug it from the dash harness. Clean all the contacts with a pencil eraser on the dash and the harness plug; the copper contacts will become shiny. Be careful with the dash contacts; they are printed to a plastic sheet.
sounds good to me 8)

timo22

Amateur Racer
Sep 13, 2011
St. Louis, Mo
Thanks t5montecarlo.... That would explain how I was able to hit the dash to "fix" it before. Looks like a nice little winter project. Thank you for your input!

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
While you have the pod out, carefully follow all the traces on the back of the cluster to make sure none are corroded

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Upgrade the dash bulbs while it's apart, too. Mike's Montes has them.

Tommy

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!