Neutral safety and backup light switches

footbrake

Dragway Regular
Feb 8, 2006
Buffalo, NY
I'm gonna put the shifter back on the column. Does anyone have a pic or drawing of the switches on the bottom of the column so I know how to rewire them back to the column from the floor shifter? All G-bodies should be the same I would think. Thanks

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Somebody mentioned they don't have NSS-es at one time, the key is physically prevented from turning by the column... whether this is true I'm not 100% sure. Far as the backup light, it should be the two in-line connectors at the center of the switch in this pic. I remember it used the same style plug as some of the '80s radios use for illumination/battery power. You can wire it either way, as it just completes a circuit. It's kinda hard to see, but it's the same as the white connector you see in the harness pic.

mvc-113f.jpg

footbrake

Dragway Regular
Feb 8, 2006
Buffalo, NY
Thanks,I'm sure they're available at local auto parts stores

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
Correct...there is only an NSS for manual transmission cars. For automatic cars, the column is different and there is a mechanical means of preventing the key from moving to Start unless the shifter is in P or N.

On 1981 and later computer cars, the reverse lamp switch also tells the computer when the shifter is in P or N.

That is why floor shift automatic cars use a rod between the transmission and the column.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!