wiring an LQ4 swap into a 79 malibu

1988montecarloss

Amateur Racer
Feb 21, 2009
milford maine
i have the chance to trade my silverado for a 79 malibu with an LQ4 6.0/4L80e in it that needs to have the wiring finished and i was wondering how difficult/whats involved with wiring it up, it would be great if somebody could give me an outline of what needs to be done or post a link of a how-to article on how to do this, or if anybody knows of a premade harness i can buy that plugs right in would be great too

i really want the car but i'd like to get an idea of what im getting into before i trade my only drivable vehicle for it

1988montecarloss

Amateur Racer
Feb 21, 2009
milford maine
after some searching around i was wondering if i could just send out the harness to wait4meperformance.com and have them convert it to standalone and tune the ecu and just plug everything in and start the car with no wiring/splicing/soldering etc. involved?

MalibuRacing

Top Fueler
May 5, 2003
www.maliburacing.com
If you want a "true plug and play" harness, you will need to go to someone like Painless Wiring, GM, etc. I used Wait4Me and it wasn't bad. You have about 8 wires you have to connect externally. You will need to wire two or three relays (fuel pump, power, etc). It takes a little work, but it's much cheaper than buying a true plug and play harness. You still need to get the ECM reprogrammed to remove VATS. It all depends on how much you're comfortable doing yourself or how much you're willing to spend.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!