one wire w/a by pass?new to me

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
i've been talking with the tech line of company that made my wiring harness and they tell me that with my one wire alt i must run that small red wire and a small bypass wire that goes from the post on the back of the alt to the starter or battery.now this new to me,usally its the one or the three.he says because the alt is over 85 amps i must run the two.i'm use to just the one big wire from the batt or starter.he says its ok to run the small by pass wire instead of the big one,but must run more than one wire.i asked him if i should go big on the size of said by pass wire he said the 10 gauge that came with the harness will be fine.i'm very suspect of this one.any thoughts on this?... other than telling me NOT to run a one wire.as usual thanks a lot

Mikethemasher

Amateur Racer
Sep 11, 2010
Elgin Illinois
I run a 6 guage wire to the starter,But if you need a kill switch as I'm going to have to do soon) then the alternator needs to be wired as to completely kill all power to the car.
Sorry I don't have any more info about this.

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
well,thanks for the reply just the same,i don't really know what to make of it all.i haven't fired the car up yet.i'm appt to do what the guy from the wiring harness company says i mean he made it so why ?it rite?

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
i have a one wire alt with one 4 guage wire running from the post on the alt directly to the battery in the trunk....nothing else.

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
grizwald said:
i have a one wire alt with one 4 guage wire running from the post on the alt directly to the battery in the trunk....nothing else.
i see that everywhere,i don't know whats the deal with this company.

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
ezwiring made it and it went in very well,easy enough to do i don't have the paper work here it's at the garage,even if i did i don't have the means to scan it.i'll update this when i bring my folder home.thanks gman. :D

z28krazy

Amateur Racer
Apr 10, 2010
New Braunfels, Texas
Perhaps you' re not getting the entire picture, as I don't see any reason to run any more than the one wire. That should go to the battery positive post, not the starter. If you have a #10 wire to the battery and a 2nd wire connected to the starter and install a kill switch later on down the road, the kill switch won't do what it's supposed to do since there will still be voltage from the alternator available to the ignition, negating the purpose of the kill switch. Go back and ask the tech 'why' the extra wire; know the purpose of his thinking on this before you do it.

The factory uses the 2nd wire method to excite a 3wire alternator and to power the lights, interior and dash. These are connected at the starter solenoid battery terminal. Perhaps this is his thinking.

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
i did ask him twice a while back about the whole "why more than one wire"and he asked how big my alternator was and it's almost a hundred amps,he said that's why.he had a rather short way about him,like he couldn't understand why I'd be asking a ?like this.when the time comes I'm gonna ask again why the rest of the hot rod world is running one big wire and he uses two that are small and medium sized and go from there.I've just looked at this from a ease of wiring aspect,I'd rather neatly run one stout wire to it than more than one wire.i picked this model up for that reason alone-to clean up the engine bay.thanks for the responses guys

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts