1981 'Bu Neutral Safety Switch

POSExpress

Sep 10, 2011
I joined this site and am posting a new topic to thank those of you who have, over the years, answered others questions about what to do for an NSS switch in a G-Body Bu which has had a floor shifter added in place of the factory column shifter. Your answers were greatly appreciated and saved a lot of guess-work and trial-and-error to find a good way to create an NSS switch out of essentially nothing.

I took all your advice and answers and slightly went my own way with the wiring of the relay. Most of you suggested getting power from the fuse panel, but instead I got power right from the purple ignition wire. I cut the purple wire and connected the ignition switch side directly to the "battery" AND "switch" terminals of the relay, connected the harness-side of the purple wire to the "load" terminal of the relay, and used the micro ("roller lever") switch in the B&M shifter to make-or-break the ground to the relay. The existing power from the ign. switch both powers the coil in the relay and also is carried on through the relay (when grounded) to do it's job. It works perfectly and keeps the relay from being constantly energized if the car is in park It is only energized while trying to crank the engine while the shifter is in park.. Only flaw is, since the B&M shifter was not in its complete form (it was free afterall) I had to add my own switch to it and was not able to mount it to use the park and neutral positions of the shifter, only park.

Thanks again for your help, even though you didn't know you were giving it ;P

Leon (owner of car) and Michael (Lee's younger brother who did the wiring and posted this)

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!