backup lights stay on with running lights and headlamps

1981Regal

Dragway Regular
Mar 10, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
Vehicle is a 1980 malibu. My backup lights stay on with the running lights/headlamps. They dont seem to get full power as they are about half as bright when the column is in reverse. Also my right turn signal doesnt blink with the running lights/headlamps on front or rear. My flashers work front and rear with the light on or off. My right turn signal will work if the running lights/headlights are off.

Replaced all the light bulbs in the rear of the tail lights. Checked the front bulbs cleaned contact points. Flasher fuse clicks as well as the turn signal fuse. Disconnected the turn signal switch in the steering column. Connected a different turn signal switch to the main harness with the same results.

Going to check for good grounds now. Other than that Im lost on what to check or look for.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Did you double check all the grounds (specifically anything related to the running lights)? Electricity goes funny places when it can't find its intended ground.

Brown_Gbody

Top Fueler
Feb 17, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Doober said:
Did you double check all the grounds (specifically anything related to the running lights)? Electricity goes funny places when it can't find its intended ground.

I agree with Doober... Also, make sure the backup light switch on the colum is not bad, grounding out or has an open in it...
I do have the electrical schematic for our car, if you are in need.....

1981Regal

Dragway Regular
Mar 10, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
I think will add a few new grounds. Anymore info on the reverse light switch Ive never messed with one of those? Yes I would like to see the schematic if its not to much trouble please.

Brown_Gbody

Top Fueler
Feb 17, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Sorry for the delay in getting these pages scanned..

Not the best, but it should help you trace some wiring

Hope this helps..
I'll send you a PM as well....

DSCF7104.jpg

DSCF7107.jpg

Brown_Gbody

Top Fueler
Feb 17, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
BTW, our cars are the "A" series sedans in the GM wiring manual (diagram on the left of first picture)....

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!