MSD 6AL install ????

JBreu

Frequent Racer
Jan 31, 2010
Livonia. New York
So I finally got my MSD 6al to install in my Monte..A friend of mine ,who is great with electronics and is very neat I might add installs it for me......So anyways, as were checking out the "GM Ignitions" section in the booklet that came with the unit there is a -NOTE: some 5-pin models may experience a hesitation or stall on deceleration. If this occurs, contact MSD tech line for the required bolt-in diode to correct the problem. So as luck would have it, I have the 5-pin model that they are talking about..WTF Once it was neatly installed as soon as the car fired up it stalled right out..Started it and revved it up, was fine at 1500 rpm's and higher, let off the gas and stall out...So we disconnect the power to the MSD and hook it back up as it was originally and all was good. called MSD and they are sending me a 5-pin module on the goose...Anyways, what causes this???

Brown_Gbody

Top Fueler
Feb 17, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Yeah, that diode seems to be the fix, but the "cause" is a little more elusive. The only thing I've been able to gather is this;
there is an inheirent ignition drop from the box that effects the 5 and 7 pin ignition modules. I'm not sure if it's a design flaw, or the result from using this box with that distributor. Maybe something to do with the rev limiter design??

Either way, MSD's only cure is a .29 cent diode.....

JBreu

Frequent Racer
Jan 31, 2010
Livonia. New York
Thanks a bunch......I can't wait til it gets here so we can finish it up :)

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!