No dash lights I am stumped

axisg

Frequent Racer
May 13, 2008
YYZ ( Toronto )
I lost the background dash lights in the car 3-4 weeks ago. Fuses are fine, all the other lights are fine so I was sure it was the dimmer on the headlight switch that failed. I swapped in a new switch today and still no lights, then again with a known good switch and no lights. I checked out the switch with a test light this eve and I get power to the brown wire ( parking lights) and power to the yellow ( headlights ) when the switch is engaged at each setting.

Anybody know if the dash lights are tied in directly to the parking lights or if they are on their own circuit ? I was driving tonight by GPS to see how fast I was going LOL

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
I once had this issue in a 1969 LeMans. The problem was the connection between the harness and the dash. Where the harness plugs into the dash, it contacts a plastic printed circuit. I removed/replaced the plug and I had lights, so I cleaned the contacts on both and then the lights never went out again.

Brown_Gbody

Top Fueler
Feb 17, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
t5montecarlo said:
I once had this issue in a 1969 LeMans. The problem was the connection between the harness and the dash. Where the harness plugs into the dash, it contacts a plastic printed circuit. I removed/replaced the plug and I had lights, so I cleaned the contacts on both and then the lights never went out again.

That's what my problem was... I had to clean the contacts for the harness connection for the dash cluster... I also did replace the headlight switch.

axisg

Frequent Racer
May 13, 2008
YYZ ( Toronto )
well you guys were right ! I pulled the cluster and it looked good but I cleaned the contacts with a pencil eraser while I had it apart then put it back together ( forgetting to check the lights when I had the guage faces off ). The sun was too bright for me to tell once I had it all toghether so I thought it had failed and kinda forgot about it. I had to move the car last night and the dash light work again. LOLOL

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts