How to adjust backup light switch

79BuOwner

Amateur Racer
Jul 11, 2011
How do you adjust the backup light switch in 79 malibu? when it goes in reverse the lights only come on when its towards the park position but still in reverse then when i pull it down the lights go off. i was told before on here by i forget who that it was the switch. Also when i turn on the 4-ways the brear drivers side lights dont blink like all the others, im going to look at the wires for that tomorrow and see if i can figure it out, but just bringing it to anyones attention, maybe someone knows something about that. All the lights work except for that.

axisg

Frequent Racer
May 13, 2008
YYZ ( Toronto )
under the dash and on top of the steering column there is a white bracket clipped to the column. Within that bracket there is an adjustment to when power is sent to the reverse lights.
On my Monte it's been an ongoing battle for 4 years to get the lights to come on right because my linkage is getting worn and sloppy.

79BuOwner

Amateur Racer
Jul 11, 2011
ahhh so would this correct my problem? the lights come on when in reverse but the lever has to be pushed up a litlle if it goes down then te lights go off.

axisg

Frequent Racer
May 13, 2008
YYZ ( Toronto )
that will do it. The bushing in the linkage get worn and sloppy so you need to either re-bush everything or find a happy medium.

BTW the first time I adjusted mine I had to drop the column so I could see what went where. Now I can reach my hand up and move it blind :) Have fun !

79BuOwner

Amateur Racer
Jul 11, 2011
haha i actually did this last night in the matter of 2 min, just loosened up the screws and moved it and now its perfect, thanks. :D

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!