hot cables

luv2xlr8

Amateur Racer
Dec 1, 2003
mentone,alabama
i have a 406 in my malibu and just installed a battery box in the trunk with new battery,cables,ends and ford solonoid on the fender. when i try to crank it it acts like the battery is dead and the cable are really hot aswell as the starter. if it does crank and i shut it off it will not crank until the cables cool off. i grounded the battery to the frame and frame to the engine and the solonoid is in the fender so its grounded and the cables are 2-gauge. thanks for your input

1bruisedbudget

Daily Driver
Jun 28, 2011
luv2xlr8 I just did the same to my car, the first thing to look at is what type of solenoid did u get momentary(on off) or continuous duty (always on with key on). second how did u wire it up, when I did mine I ran all starter wires to solenoid hooked up acc and power wire (battery cable) together on one side. exciter wire on (S) i think i lost paper but if u r looking at it little screw to right and ran 2 gauge to starter on the other side eliminating the need to have 6 wires burned up down stairs now i ran a jumper on the starter from big lug to exciter hook up and starter cable comes from solenoid buy its self to big lug on starter . so the way it works is all acc and bat are hooked together on one side,turn key one click all works normal but the diff is with the starter buy itself the only time 12v is on the starter 2 gauge wire is when u turn key all the way and 12v goes through exciter wire, once car starts cable is dead. momentary
How far ar u running the cable I am running 17' so i ran 0x2 cable in mine
Hope this helps
kevin

luv2xlr8

Amateur Racer
Dec 1, 2003
mentone,alabama
thats how i have mine run but im not sure about the noid and im running 12ft of 2-gauge cable. i noticed i cant jump the car off buy using a screw driver on the noid is it possible its bad?

1bruisedbudget

Daily Driver
Jun 28, 2011
10-4 one way to check is to make sure 12v is on exiter I would use a jumper wire and use a volt meter and c if 12v gets through to big lug if no noid is bad

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!