Easiest Alternator Solution.

Garage Hound

Frequent Racer
Jun 22, 2005
Independence, MO
Okay, so I can't afford to race the Malibu any more and I can't sell it. Seems like the next best thing is to make it "semi" street legal again while gaining some drivability. Since this car was a fully trailered race car, there is no stock wiring left. I run full electric (no belts) on WP, FP and fan. I have converted the fuel pump back to manual and now I am ready to attack the alternator. I use a barrier strip running off the starter to create a couple of rows of "hot" terminals which power my switch panel. I used an Optima battery and charged it at the track between race. My question is:

If I want to add an alternator, what type should I buy and how should I best wire it up?

Seems like I remember that alternators run all the electrics now, leaving the battery for cranking purposes only. I don't believe these systems were always like this (battery ran the electrics and the alternator charged the battery once upon a time?), but I don't know for sure.

Anyway, your advice, as always, is welcome and appreciated.

Ed Cannon

Pro Stocker
Jul 17, 2009
Johnson City Tn
Old gm 10si 1 wire.

Garage Hound

Frequent Racer
Jun 22, 2005
Independence, MO
grizwald said:
i got a cs style 1 wire alternator. one wire to the battery, and that's it.

1 wire to the battery......I like that. I guess the 1-wire version has a built-in voltage regulator? Also, what is "cs style"?

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
i'm no alternator expert, but if i recall what i was told when i was alternator shopping, the cs style alternators put out the same power regardless of rpm.

Garage Hound

Frequent Racer
Jun 22, 2005
Independence, MO
grizwald said:
i'm no alternator expert, but if i recall what i was told when i was alternator shopping, the cs style alternators put out the same power regardless of rpm.

Awesome. Thanks for the info!!

gbodystuff

Amateur Racer
Mar 30, 2009
Iowa
However, keep in mind that if the alternator is putting out a lot of amperage and you aren't using it-it goes into building heat (and excessive resistance)within the wiring...which means now the alternator is going to run hotter...this is a viscious cycle where eventually the alternator will die prematurely...if this car sees a lot of street driving at low speeds, it's something to think about.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!