signal light problems

83bu

Frequent Racer
Mar 29, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
i have a problem with my signal lights on my 81 malibu. they work fine when i have no lights on (actually they seem a little slow but still work) but as soon as i turn my park lights on the the arrow just stays lit up as if i have a burned out bulb (which i dont). anyone come across this before? thanks in advance.

DOUG213XRJ

MalibuRacing Junkie
Sep 18, 2006
West, MI
Not sure whats going on, But I would start by removing all the bulbs . Replace one at a time then try the parking lights with the blinker and see what happing . It sounds like a bulb in a socket is not grounded or has a bad contact.

Spaceboy1980

Weekend Racer
Feb 5, 2008
Lewisburg TN
Mine was doing this too and what I read is that the bulb has a bad ground. Ya, doesn't make sense to me either but I took some 0000 grade steel wool and some dielectric grease and scrubbed all the trace connections on the printed circuit board and it cured it as well as made my back lighting on my gauges much brighter.

Brown_Gbody

Top Fueler
Feb 17, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Spaceboy1980 said:
Mine was doing this too and what I read is that the bulb has a bad ground..

Ditto... cleaned up the socket, and all is well, heir Komandant....

83bu

Frequent Racer
Mar 29, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
thanks guy's, cleaned all the sockets and they startred to work off and on the cleaned the ground and harness in the trunk and they work all the time now. are your signal lights slower when you have the park/ headlights on? mine are about 1 to 2 seconds slower with the lights on, just wondering if this is normal?

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
I just had this same thing happen to me. It turned out the new 1157 bulb I put in the front signal socket had an internal short; both filaments lit up. Replacing the bulb, again, fixed the problem.

83bu

Frequent Racer
Mar 29, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
thanks guys got it all figured out

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!