Rear Mounted Battery Set up Help

406Monte

Dragway Regular
Nov 30, 2007
Hubert, NC
For any of you guys that have your battery in the trunk and it is legal for IHRA and NHRA how did you mount it to the frame per the rules? I need some pics of it please. I just got the Taylor battery kit and need some pics and info on how you mounted it to the rear frame rails to be legal. :-k

Evil_Regal

Amateur Racer
Aug 10, 2004
Philly, PA
pages.prodigy.net
I did this to mine recently, here is a diagram of what I did. (from this post: http://www.maliburacing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=97688&hilit=OPTIMA+BATTERY&start=15 )
Just wanted to update this post, since it is hard to find information on mounting the trunk battery to the frame. This is how I ended up doing it, which i posted elsewhere and figured I'd share.
First I bolted a steel plate to the frame with 4" long bolts, after drilling holes through the 2 layers of sheet metal and the frame in the bolt locations. I put the holes in a spot where the bottoms of the bolts would be accessible through the body mount access holes on the frame. The bolts that go thru the frame and plate do not go thru the battery box, the box sits on top of it, this way i had a flat surface for the battery to sit on inside the box It's mounted through the top layer of the frame, though i assume you could go through both with a longer bolt.In any case then I bolted the battery box to the steel plate you see in the pic with the supplied hardware. I've added a lil CAD drawing. .I couldn't find any info of how ppl bolted it to the frame so this is what I came up with. I still have to add my cutoff switch.

battbox.jpg

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!