Flexplates and Flywheels for over 500 HP?

A

Anonymous

..........So many different brands and what benefit one has over another.

Goob

Top Fueler
Jun 6, 2003
Indianapolis
I think all the full welded Gold irridite finish flexplates (SFI tagged) probably come from the same place, the only "special" thing I can think of is the JW "Wheel", which is heavier and is supposed to help produce a harder hit on the launch.

I can't see or tell any difference between a TCI and a Big End SFI flexplate. Never weighed them side by side.

Flywheels? Man, Steel, Aluminum, different steel inserts for Aluminums, etc., etc........a guy could shop for those for a while, but just about everyone has the same things.

A

Anonymous

I think you could probably buy a new pioneer for the same money.

A

Anonymous

I'm using a Meziere one piece billet steel flexplate. It's is really a nice thick piece. I feel like when your over 13.5 to 1 and 454cid you really need a sold and sound piece for starting and launching off a trans-brake. CSI makes a very nice one also.

CutlassRacer

MalibuRacing Junkie
Dec 18, 2004
Gainesville, FL
www.facebook.com
The CSR and JW pieces are real nice. All of our Chevy shop cars run Big End (Fidanza) SFI flexplates. I have to go the JW route with my Olds.

Hitman

Dragway Regular
Oct 15, 2004
OKC
Pioneer is actually who makes all those "gold iridited" ones for everybody. They're fine for use in about anything. If you're car is set up to start correctly, you won't break any of them...if it's not set up right, it'll break them all.

10secBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Westminster, MD
I have had a few of the generic SFI ones over the years. I can't tell any difference between them other than some had nicer looking welds. My last one had gotten a couple chipped teeth so I purchased another no name SFI one and it's been fine for a couple seasons now. I think the ring gear gets beat more than the flexplate itself.

I'd like to have a nice facy real thick one, but I'd be real ticked off to chip some starter teeth off the ring gear and be out $200 vs a disposable $50-60 piece.

Cost no object, I'd have an aluminum Reactor with the bolt-on ring gear.

Excelerater

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 22, 2003
Memphis,TN
I have a TCI.Same as just about every other model u can buy......

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!